Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenn817 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Spider Type?
    Can anyone tell me what type of garden spider is this?
    Attached Images

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn817
    Can anyone tell me what type of garden spider is this?

It looks like a banana spider to me -
    Jenn817 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Thank you!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 13, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Golden Silk (Banana) spiders are the largest non tarantula spiders in North America. Here in Florida, I have many with bodies the size of my little finger, and leg spans of over 5 inches. They are gentle and tremendously beneficial because of all the insect pests that they eat. They often share their webs with male yellow silk spiders.
    The golden silk spider is banana yellow and so are their webs; hence the name, Banana Spider. Yellow Silk Spiders are "Orb web" weavers, not wanderers. Don't confuse them with the aggressive and dangerous brown Brazilian Wandering Spiders (Phoneutria fera et al) <http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/resources/general.htm> who are also called banana spiders. These are imported into the US in banana bunches and have a neurotoxin venomous bite like a black widow.

Name:  bananaSpider.bmp
Views: 4187
Size:  209.9 KB
    Lady banana spider with her mate. She is the big one; he is tiny.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    Golden Silk (Banana) spiders are the largest non tarantula spiders in North America. Here in Florida, I have many with bodies the size of my little finger, and leg spans of over 5 inches. They are gentle and tremendously beneficial because of all the insect pests that they eat. They often share their webs with male yellow silk spiders.
    The golden silk spider is banana yellow and so are their webs; hence the name, Banana Spider. Yellow Silk Spiders are "Orb web" weavers, not wanderers. Don't confuse them with the aggressive and dangerous brown Brazilian Wandering Spiders (Phoneutria fera et al) <http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/resources/general.htm> who are also called banana spiders. These are imported into the US in banana bunches and have a neurotoxin venomous bite like a black widow.

Name:  bananaSpider.bmp
Views: 4187
Size:  209.9 KB
    Lady banana spider with her mate. She is the big one; he is tiny.

Remind me to never go to Florida to visit you. YIKES!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
    JK - OK... but I'm not in FL... That was the caption for the pic. And since the B spider doesn't bother you unless you whack it, I won't worry when I visit relatives there. <G>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spider? What it is? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi Im in the southwest of the UK found this spider on the fence outside my back door and accidentally painted it LOL so the legs stuck on the fence, really creepy looking and just wondered if anyone knows what it is as I've never seen one before.. please note its not red its black LOL ...

What spider is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is? Location is Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte They told me this kind of spider lives in cold places in the back of the house. Many thanks

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

View more questions Search