Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amitbhandari Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 08:02 AM
    India-US tax treaty
    Hi
    I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted for few months. Thereafter I styed on in 2005 as well as in current year. Since I have stayed more than 2 years , as per the treaty I filed my taxes for year 2005 but I need to know as to whether I am liable to pay taxes for the year 2004 since the treaty says the taxes are to be paid retroactively and how do I pay it.
    Thanks'
    Amit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Amit:

I believe that the research exemption is TWO years, not one, so the tax year 2005 is exempt as well. I cannot research it here, but check out IRS Pob 901 under India to see the duration.

Apr 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Hi
    You are right that the exemption is two years but it says that after 2 years the taxes are to be paid retroactively.. so I need to know what does retroactively mean... does it mean I got to pay back taxes.. I learned that one has to pay back taxes so I paid taxes for the year 2005.. can you let me know the meaning of retroactively...
    Thanks
    Amit
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Amit:

Actually, the process is pretty simple. You get exempted from two years worth of taxes, based on the condition that you will be in country for ONLY two years. If you stay past two years, you have then violated the condition of the exemption, in which case the IRS will go back the two years you did not pay taxes and collect those two years of taxes. That is what "retroactively" means.

As long as you plan to stay for only two years, then you have met the criteria of the exemption and should not pay taxes. Amend your 2005 return using Form 1040X and ask for all the taxes paid back.

Apr 19, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi
    Thanks a lot for the information. Actually I have already lived for more than two years and I am currently in third year of my stay. That is why I filed my 2005 return. I just need to know as to whether I should now amend my 2004 return in which I took the benefit of treaty and did not pay any tax... If yes.. how do I amend it and whether I will have to pay penalty and interest etc.. thanks a lot..
    Amit
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Amit:

Okay, it seems amending your return is in order.

When you file the amendment (Form 1040X), explain the situation in detail, so all youwill pay is interest. No penalties should be assessed if you come forward. If you wait for the IRS to find you, however, then penalties (up to 100% of the tax) may be assessed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

F2 Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance My husband came to US in 2002 in F-2 visa. He then went to Mexico and switched to F1 visa in Jan 2003. (He stayed in Mexico for 3 days).He has never been out of US ever since then. Can he claim US-China treaty of $5000? Please also provide the supporting documentation if...

View more questions Search