Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    insultedbyboss Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Accused of insubordination
    My supervisor accused me of insubordination because I shut a door to loudly after she put her finger to her mouth indicating that I was speaking to loudly. During this repremand she said to me "Whether you like it or not I am your supervisor". I have never once indicated or spoken words to indicate that statement. I have said many times that she has a huge job and upper management puts way too much on her shoulders. This accusation of insubordination has caused me to start having anxiety attacks. I have never had an anxiety attack in my like. I feel that this is a management malpractice and a defamation of my character. Am I right?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by insultedbyboss
    My supervisor accused me of insubordination because I shut a door to loudly after she put her finger to her mouth indicating that I was speaking to loudly. During this repremand she said to me "Whether you like it or not I am your supervisor". I have never once indicated or spoken words to indicate that statement. I have said many times that she has a huge job and upper management puts way too much on her shoulders. This accusation of insubordination has caused me to start having anxiety attacks. I have never had an anxiety attack in my like. I feel that this is a management malpractice and a defamation of my character. Am I right?

Defamation is "the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image." I see her saying this to you, not to a third person and I believe she thought you were being insubordinate, that she is not simply saying this.

I also don't see malpractice, which is basically the failure to use adequate care or professional skills to the level of care/skills practiced by others in the area in the same professional (sort of a "nutshell" explanation.) You must also be damaged by the behavior.

I don't see a claim for anxiety attacks based on this one incident to be a legally actionable damages.

So - did you slam a door after she told you to be quiet?

Aug 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
    1st if all I didn't slam the door. It does shut very easily but I did not shut the door loudly on purpose. She came to me with a write up before I left Friday night. It has been making sick all weekend. She said that she went to the ceo and he said that it was being insubordinate. (He works in another town out of another office.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
    So they warned you, get over it and go do your job, you have no claim what so ever, this is perhaps poor management, but not the worst I have heard or seen
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 01:38 PM
    1st if all I didn't slam the door. It does shut very easily but I did not shut the door loudly on purpose. She came to me with a write up before I left Friday night. It has been making sick all weekend. She said that she went to the ceo and he said that it was being insubordinate. (He works in another town out of another office.)

If the charges are false then get Doctors' reports that the incident is making you ill, take sick time and consult with an Attorney. As I explained you will have to prove that she acted unreasonably and in an attempt to cause you harm - and that the incident DID, in fact, cause you harm, and that you were not in any way being insubordinate.

I don't think you have an action. I think your superior took whatever happened between you as subordination and that's her prerogative.

Aug 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Thanks for your honest answers. I do plan to go forward and continue taking care of our patients. I do feel that she is attempting to intimidate me. In my heart of hearts I feel that she doesn't have a clue about managing nurses. She never has been a nurse. She was a coder and coder supervisor. Our clinics do not have a true nurse manager. I just have to remember that I have control over my life and trying to control anything else is like trying to control the weather. I do not want to leave the fabulous Dr I work for or our patients. However, maybe it is time to look for other employment. Thanks Again

Aug 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Just for further reference is it legal to tape our conversations without her knowledge?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Just for futher reference is it legal to tape our conversations without her knowlege?

Depends on your State - also, because you are in health care and have no idea if a patient's name or condition is going to be mentioned I think it could be very dangerous - and lead a lot of patient confidentiality issues for you as well as a really bad reference if you are "caught." And that is in addition to being terminated with no ability to collect Unemployment.

I never find the hidden tape recorder to be a good idea.

Aug 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Thanks. It is just that she has told some untruths and when confronted about them she states "I don't remember, It's your word against mine". I thought that it might help with her memory problem.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Thanks. It is just that she has told some untruths and when confronted about them she states "I don't remember, It's your word against mine". I thought that it might help with her memory problem.

Now THAT'S funny! And, yes, it probably would - problem is whatever else she might say. (Needed the laugh at the end of the weekend!)

Aug 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Have a good one and I will just keep on keeping on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongfully accused [ 2 Answers ]

I am employed in the UK. I have been wrongfully accused of opening a colleagues wageslip and have proof I did not do this. What action can I take against the person accusing me of this. Slander? Thanks

Due process for accused [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please explain something to me. If everyone is allowed to have legal representation for an accused criminal offense carrying jailtime, and the judge tells the accused they have the right to a court appointed attorney if they cannot afford one... how can they deny the accused an...

Accused [ 1 Answers ]

I have been falsley accused of stealing. No one seen me do it or no cameras to back it up. All they have is voided transactions and me working. But the voided transactions were not under my name and I'm not the only one who works there? My boss said he will help me but I have to admit it and then...

Being accused [ 1 Answers ]

The police have not come and got a statement yet do I give them one? What do I do? I didn't do what I'm accused of

View more questions Search