Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joannelily3584 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Discriminatory terms
    Why are the term MENTALLY HANDICAPPED,WHEELE CHAIR BOUND AND COLOURD discriminatingand what are the alternative words which should be used
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 07:29 AM
    No matter what Politically correct words rights advocates come up with the words still end up being seen as Politically incorrect and the 'handicapped' people are not the ones complaining.
    They went from handicapped to disabled to physically challenged to special needs.
    Personally I do not think we need the language police and that they just must not have anything better to do with their life than looking for things that offend THEM and come up with something more pleasing to their ears.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Aug 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Good question. I don't know where as a society we are going with these shifting terms for individuals. If these are discriminating, the older ones were down right mean.

First, I believe as groups that have a beef with society in general become more politically active, one way to show their strength is to not allow others to name them. Colored > Black, etc. These days everyone wants to be politically correct (PC), so usually, the terms to describe these individuals are changed to meet their desires.

I don't know what is PC these days for Wheelchair Bound, but it is likely to change.

Maybe Mentally Handicapped >Special Needs... I think they are called "Special" as in Special Olympics.

I think Lenny Bruce had the right idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay lag = terms lag + due lag [ 2 Answers ]

Thus Pay lag = terms lag + due lag State how you would expect the following events to affect each type of lag: a. The company imposes a service charge on late payers. b. A recession causes customers to be short of cash. c. The company changes its terms from net 10 to net 20.

Sex terms [ 22 Answers ]

Fdsgvdfh

Poor and discriminatory service at restaurant [ 8 Answers ]

I visited an Elephant Bar in Fremont, CA Friday 7/27/07 at 5:28 p.m. I asked the greeter for a private seat where I could sit and have a drink and something to eat while waiting for tire work to be done at a nearby shop. She was very kind and instructed a lady to seat me. The seater was very...

Defining terms [ 11 Answers ]

Could somebody define these terms please LAGOS ? Cash flow crisis - is it just a problem with earning money? Anti locust programms (something to do with giving food to poorer countries) Thank you

View more questions Search