Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikey91 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Mold in crawlspace basement
    We have a crawlspace type basement that is developing black mold.( Sump pump does work.) It is a very wet environment.
    What is the best treatment to get rid of this problem? Bleach?
    Be aware this basement is very tight and low. Hard to move about unless you're on your back.
    THanks for your advise
    Mikey 91
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 06:11 PM
    To properly get rid of the mold and mildew you should have the space professionally treated. The professionals usually have a guarantee on their work as they use special chemicals to kill the mold properly. Any of the doityourself stuff does not have a guarantee. You should have some sort of ventilation in the crawlspace such as vents to the outside that close automatically when the weather is cold outside. This would keep the mold from coming back after it is properly eridacated.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
    A bleach solution with a sprayer might work. A boric acid solution would also (with the added benefit of protecting against termites). The problem is that if it continues to be very wet, retreatment will be necessary since both treats would be washed out eventually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Cast Iron in a wet crawlspace [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace a cast iron T with an abs wye in my crawlspace. I used the 4" fernco couplings and cranked the bands tight, but a very slow drip is still present. The cast iron is rusted and difficult to get a tight seal. What can I do to ensure a seal that won't leak?

Basement mold [ 1 Answers ]

Howdie, I have in my basement, under my front porch a storm shelter. When the contractors built this, they poured all the walls for the basement and the storm shelter. Then came back and used 3/4" plywood to pour the floor for the front porch which acts as a ceiling for the storm shelter. The...

Crawlspace Vents Not Used? [ 2 Answers ]

We had Radon Mitigation done in the crawl space and they told us not to put the vent covers in during the winter. The mitigation was a layer of plastic with the fan drawing air out from (I am assuming) underneath the plastic... Does this make sense not to cover the vents? Will I lose too much...

Water in crawlspace [ 2 Answers ]

I have water in the crawl space under my house. The water is about 2" deep across most of the crawl space. We have had a lot of rain but I have had other houses in Oregon without water under them I regraded my yard last year and built a retaining wall next to the house in the hopes of moving...

Odor in crawlspace from leak [ 1 Answers ]

We had a clog in the plumbing from our kitchen/laundry area. Evidently it had been overflowing into the crawlspace for some time - stinky! We have cleared the blockage, but there is a lot of 'overflow' in the crawlspace still and we are wondering the best way to treat the area to take care of the...

View more questions Search