Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
    George Pat's history left out plenty of provocation by the Ruskies before Georgia decided to move into S.Ossetia .

Actually Georgia has been under attack in one way or another since the Rose Revolution. Russia's goal is the Finlandization of it's former satellite states.
    Read Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili's oped . He details some of the Ruskie abuses.

Mikheil Saakashvili - Russia's War Is The West's Challenge - washingtonpost.com
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    So how did all this get started? According to Buchanan, "Mikheil Saakashvili's decision to use the opening of the Olympic Games to cover Georgia's invasion of its breakaway province of South Ossetia must rank in stupidity with Gamal Abdel-Nasser's decision to close the Straits of Tiran to Israeli ships.

"After shelling and attacking what he claims is his own country, killing scores of his own Ossetian citizens and sending tens of thousands fleeing into Russia, Saakashvili's army was whipped back into Georgia in 48 hours." Blowback From Bear-Baiting - HUMAN EVENTS
    The history of the disputed territory, and people, goes back to the USSR breakup. Ask Buchanan if Dubya was warming up his vocals for singing the national anthem when he started his screaming match with Putin at the Olympics opening ceremony.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    But Gates did not leave the question open . He said :

That was an important signal .... a mistake Ronnie Reagan would never make.
    Realistically, how could the USA even think about an armed conflict?
    - Iraq and Afghanistan are costing $$$$$ and military resources, economy is not so hot, USA energy sources still questionable. I think Putin knows this.

In Russia's backyard?

For what national security purpose?

I say let the Europeans and the UN handle this one- if they have the will or ability to.
    Let them learn how to defend themselves.

We have more on our plate right now, to be taking on another problem.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:18 AM
    I outlined through 3 posts now what I think the US should be doing. It does not involved US armed conflict. It does involve us materially helping Georgia in their defense .

I say let the Europeans and the UN handle this one- if they have the will or ability to.
    We tried that twice in the 20th Century . How did that work out ?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I outlined throught 3 posts now what I think the US should be doing. It does not involved US armed conflict. It does involve us materially helping Georgia in their defense .

We tried that twice in the 20th Century . How did that work out ?

What you don't have any confidence on the UN or the Europeans:confused: :D

But the left keeps harangue the USA as the world's policeman :confused: :D
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 16, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    - Iraq and Afghanistan are costing $$$$$ and military resources, economy is not so hot, USA energy sources still questionable. I think Putin knows this.

In Russia's backyard?

For what national security purpose?

We have more on our plate right now, to be taking on another problem.
    You are being realistic, although diplomatically there are other avenues besides the UN. This is an international chess match and Dubya (this time) is being practical for good reasons. :cool:
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 03:19 AM
    What you don't have any confidence on the UN or the Europeans

But the left keeps harangue the USA as the world's policeman
    NATO has been figuratively dead for some time. The fact that it couldn't and wouldn't do anything about Bosnia and Kosovo until the US took the lead was a big hint.Their lame support of the Afghanistan campaign is another . Their appeasing posture regarding this Russian aggression is proof positive that it is time to disolve NATO and begin forming a League of Free Nations . Sure Western European nations would be invited to participate . But they would be no more influential than freer and braver Eastern European free nations or Japan India or Brazil .

The EU wants it's own independent foreign policy . You are right ;let them enforce it with their own muscle . Let them decide to fund their nannystates or their military. But the problem is that I know from history the United States will be dragged into their affairs again eventually when the security threats become more than their soft diplomacy can resolve.

The US called for a NATO meeting for Tuesday . Time to insist that they stop blocking Georgia and Ukraine entry into NATO and get unified support for the Polish decision to deploy defensive missile defense .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being served in the state of Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Over the years, I have accrued terrible debt. I used to have a decent income but since the constrction crisis my income has suffered. Yesterday a deputy attempted to serve me papers for some kind of debt (?) at my old address. I don't live there anymore but do know the people that live...

Georgia State Taxes - OPT [ 1 Answers ]

What is the residency status under OPT for Georgia State Taxes? Thanks

Garnishment Law In The State of Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am thinking about trying to make a settlement with some credit card companies. In case they do not want to settle and I stop making payments, what are the garnishment laws in the state of Georgia ? Where can I find that online ? Iroc

Georgia state taxes-OPT-H1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Georgia state taxes This is my employment history Aug 2002-Dec 2004- F1 (Wisconsin) Feb 2005-October 2005- OPT (Atlanta, GA) November 2005 to present - H1 (Atlanta, GA)

Georgia State OPT tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I know how much is the OPT tax in Georgia state. My OPT ends on Feb 9,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search