Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 07:11 AM
    How can I treat migraines?
    I suffer from migraines approx. every 4-6 weeks. I can not take any kind of medication as it always causes vomiting. Can anyone suggest any alternate treatments?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Hi jj'... suffered myself for many years.You say you cannot take any pain killers... nothing at all!!

If you have a full blown migraine, put on the darkest pair of sunglasses you have and keep them on, do you have the pain in the temple or front of the head ?
    IF so you can now buy cooling stripes that go on the offending part or even what they used to call menthol cones, giving the same effect when rubbed across the head, these give some relief but not a lot , an ice pack to the back of your neck is also quite effective, a bag of frozen peas will do, wrapped in a tea-towell or similar.

You need peace and quiet so lie down in a darkened room, unplug the phone before hand and try to rest.

Do you go through the stages of an attack where you can tell when one is about to start? If so try and take something then, you can buy 3 stage tablets that work on the assumtion that prevention is better than cure, for some people they do work very well.

I know you've already said that you cannot take any medication, but if you take before the onset of the attack, then it shouldn't make you sick.Obviously when it's full blown then it will in your case.

I have heard that there is an injection available for constant migraine sufferrers, which apparently you get every 6 months, now I don't know how correct this is and if it's available to all,my friends brother has it, basically that 's all the info I have, worth checking out with your GP though next time you visit.

I hope you are now doning a pair of sunglasses, you've unplugged your phone, and that you are resting in a darkened room, with something cool on your head... your pain should ease off soon.

Takecare
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Avoid these head-banging foods - they are migraine makers! | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL
    Avoid eating the following foods:
    Sugar
    Artificial sweeteners
    Caffeine
    Aged cheeses
    Chocolates
    Fermented sausages
    Pickled herrings
    Salt
    Sour cream
    Saturated fats in excess

Other Triggers

Other foods that may be "triggers" or things that may set off migraines are: citrus fruits, hot dogs, foods that contain aspartame or monosodium glutamate (MSG), ice cream, and alcoholic beverages like beer and red wine.

MSG is a common food flavoring added by restaurants especially Chinese ones. Make sure you ask specifically if what you are ordering contains any MSG. Most restaurants are happy to prepare your dish without adding MSG to it.

Learn to make a habit of reading food labels while selecting items at the grocery stores. There are lots of commercially prepared foods (boxed and canned) that contain MSG. The more common of these foods are: croûtons, frozen dinners, potato chips (some varieties), salad dressings, soups, soy sauce, and also stuffing mixes.

Be careful when you are reading labels for foods containing MSG because some manufacturers will use alternative names for MSG, like: autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed proteins or sodium caseinate.

Chemicals and Amino Acids to Avoid

The chemicals contained in certain foods that are most likely to be responsible for triggering migraines are: amines. You may find them labeled as: histamine, phenylethylamine and tyramine.

You can find tyramine in aged or blue cheese, beer, cured, smoked or pickled meat and fish, red wine, and also soy sauce.

Foods that have phenylethylamine in them include: berry pie filling in cans or canned berries, citrus fruits, cheesecake, chocolate, cocoa, red wine and yellow cheeses.

Foods that contain histamine are: bananas, beef, beer, cheese, chicken livers, citrus fruits, chocolate, shellfish, pork and processed meats such as salami, sauerkraut, spinach, strawberries, well-ripened yellow cheeses, yeast as well as foods baked with yeast.

Deli meats and other foods containing nitrites
    These include pepperoni, bacon, hot dogs, sausages (including chicken, turkey and soy sausages/bacon/hot dogs that list nitrites in their ingredients), bologna, pastrami, jerky (beef and turkey), corned beef, and all other beef/poultry/pork/wild game/fish that has been cured, smoked, pickled, canned or preserved with nitrites.

Aspartame
    Be cautious of foods and beverages made with this artificial sweetener (also known as Sweet 'n Low, Nutrasweet and Equal).

Foods/supplements good for minimizing migraines
    * Riboflavin (skim milk, asparagus, kale, mushrooms, both portabella and white)
    * Magnesium (beans, swiss chard, spinach, potatoes; sweet and white
    * Omega 3 fats (wild salmon, sardines, omega-3-fortified eggs)
    * Feverfew
    * CoQ10

Keep lights dim when possible, create a relaxed atmosphere (such as aromatherapy candles), soak in a hot bath with soothing aromatherapy oils such as lavender, Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, citrus and Cedarwood
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Have you seen a neurologist for your headaches? Have they been properly diagnosed? Do you see any repeat pattern in when you get your headaches?
    Dr Nancy Malik Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    Medical Doctor of Homeopathy

Aug 11, 2008, 03:09 AM
    You can try accupressure, accupuncture, or homeopathy. They have shown promising results in miagrains
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. I will read it all carefully and see what might work best for me.
    GuyLaundry Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Honenstly, when I get migraines a nice cold ice pack, peace and quiet, and a couple hours of sleep usually does the trick.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
    As mentioned above, I've heard good things about acupuncture and acupressure for migranes... and although it was for a completely different medical situation, I've seen first hand how acupuncture helped my wife when western med had nothing more to offer her.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Put a damp cloth over your eyes, and lay back on a FLAT surface. Make an ice pack of a bag of frozen peas or corn wrapped in a dish towel and place that behind your neck.

Keep the room dark, keep the noises to a minimum.

And sleep. For most people I've met, sleep is the best form of treatment for a migraine.

If you have NEVER had a CAT scan, I would get in and get one. My migraines have been tested over and over--and for the most part, they are pretty much genetic--everyone in my family gets them. But, I also know my triggers and can work to avoid them. If I were you, I would contact a neurologist and get the initial tests done, and try to figure out your triggers.
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
    I get menstural migraines but I've also recently found out that I could be getting them because I'm deficient in a certain vitamin. I asked a naturopath what to try and he told me vitaspray which is a vitamin B complex. I've also had success with seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis. I also agree with the sunglass idea. You should also see a neurologist because new migraine drugs come out all the time that may not cause you to throw up. I currently take axert when I start to feel my migraine coming on and within 20 min I'm good to function and in two hours I'm ready to go out dancing. I hope this helps.
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I have found an unconventional way of relieving my worst migraines especially if the Imitrex isn't working...

I find tying a long sleeve shirt (Or ANY material like that) around my head (across my forehead) helps me TONS! The pressure relieves so much of my migraine... I also mash the heck out of that area by my thumb... I think that's more of a pain "shifter" than reliever... combined with hiding in total darkness

Only once in a while do I have them so bad anymore that I have to go to the ER... I have had severe dizzy spells with quite a few of my migraines.
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 5, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Oh and Torridol helps sometimes if it won't go away but you have to go to the Dr. to get that.
    Liasdaughter Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 7, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Migrain is most likely caused by imbalances in the brain chemicals. Leading to an attack the blood vessels dilate, got inflamed, resulting in headache, which can lasts up to 72 hours.

It could be heralded by an aura

- visual disturbances : sparkling/flashing lights,
    dazzling, shimmering, zigzagging lines
    spots before the eyes.

- sensational disturbances: pins and needles sensation in leg(s), arm(s) (Usually one side)
    numbness in hand(s), fingers.

- unusual cravings for certain food, drink

- errors in tasting (salty might feel sweet or visa-versa),

and others.

But, it also could develop without those warning signs. (without an aura)

Triggers could include:

- hormonal changes (period headache = estrogen fluctations)

- certain food/drink (alcohol, vine (mostly red), cheese (mostly matured)
    chocolate, MSG (VERY OFTEN)

- stress, exhaustion

- lights (too bright, and/or flashing = disco)

- strong smells (even nice ones like parfume)

- different sleeping routine (much more/less sleeping = weekend migrain)

- weather (sudden changes, rain, humidity, pressure)

- medication

- Family history !

Alternative remedies can include:

- massage, certain vitamins (ie B2), minerals (ie.magnesium), herbs (ie. Feverfew).

Avoiding know trigger, which you have identified on yourself, deffinitely helps.

AND, PLEASE, SEE YOUR DOCTOR TO CLOSE OUT ANY POSSIBLE UNDERLIYING DISEASE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Migraines. All The Time. Its Ruining My Life! [ 5 Answers ]

:( Migraine before I go to bed. Migraine when I wake up. It's an all the time thing! I can't take it anymore. My physician has given me a medicine to control them, also to control my anxiety attacks. She says it is from the stress I am going through, that's one thing I can believe. But here's my...

My mother has started to have seizures w/ her migraines [ 6 Answers ]

I am just beginning to research my mothers condition as it is getting worse almost daily now. She just recently had her 51st birthday. 1.) I know she has had debilitating migraines since she was a teenager. These never have been tiny headaches, they would lay her up for days if not over a week....

Blood clot in eye, now migraines - vasoconstriction or TIAs? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm 32, positive for Factor V Leiden (a clotting disorder) and have survived 5 separate episodes of pulmonary embolisms, totally about 40 lung clots total. A little over a month ago a clot was located the back of my left eye. I'd been going blind in the eye off and on since June (I'm not...

Can taking a specific med. Cause migraines, and other... [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was in the hospitol for vomiting, blurry vision, seeing 2 of everything, very dizzy and off balance, and had a terrible migraine located in the front of my forehead. My doctor took me off 100 mg Zoloft about a month or so ago, then for 7days, 50mg Zoloft for 7 days, then 25mg along with...

View more questions Search