Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Layla0226 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Thermostat wires
    Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Really does not matter which goes to which. Will still work no matter how theseget connected. Would be good thou if you can trace which is the return for the contactor coil. At the furnace someplace is a small transformer. One wire from this transformer goes directly to the coil of the magentic contactor for the compressor. This is probably the blue wire.

The other wire is the actual power, and will go through the thermostat, and then out to the outdoor unit, and may go through other switches in the unit before going to the coil.

Again, no harm will happen if the wires are not matched up.

Apr 16, 2006, 05:48 AM
    OK, so we have tried hooking them up both ways. Currently they are blue to blue and yellow to brown. When I turn the thermostat on, I can hear it click inside but the unit outside is still not turning on. IS it possible that pulling wires loose would have made something short? This is a new unit, only installed in our new house in September.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Not sure where these wires got taken apart. If close to the outside unit, then the wires must have been pulled off other splices or terminal strips inside the outdoor unit, or even perhaps shorted inside.

You need to check further from where the wires got broken.

Get back with more questions and details, or let us know what you found.

Apr 16, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Ended up that it blew a fuse. We have it taken care of now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

I think I shorted contact wires for digital thermostat while installing. [ 3 Answers ]

Actually, I know I shorted it! I was installing a ritetemp therostat. C-Blue G-Green Y-Yellow W-White R-Red It seemed pretty straight forward.

Matching wires on new honeywell thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My old thermostat was janitrol HPT 18-60 and wires were: Y (yellow) G (orange) R (Red) O (orange) W2 (white) E (Black) C (Blue) I just bought a Honeywell #RTH6300B. Their wires are: G,W,Y, R,RC. How can I match them up? Do I need the "O" on the old one? We are only getting hot air now by...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search