Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
    About Tire Pressure?
    I have tried all day to contact Senator Obama but have been unsuccessful.

I am trying to conform to his new energy policy and have a question.

What do you use for determining the proper inflation pressure?

My vehicle says that the tires should be at 30 psi on both front and rear.

My Tires say maximum pressure 44 psi.

That is a big difference, 14 psi.

Which one should I pay attention to?

I've been running them at 40 psi since they were new, I've got about 60,000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing properly, of course the front tires show much more wear than the rear, but then again, the rear tires are just along for the ride.

What is the proper pressure?

30 or 44 psi?

Or is it somewhere in between?

Help me out here please, I want to help Senator Obama with his energy plan.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Under the Obama energy plan you let all the air out of your tires. That way you don't use any gas. However, you cannot let this contaminated tire air escape back into the atmosphere. You must have an EPA certified mechanic capture and filter this used air before releasing it back into the atmosphere.

For a $10 contribution to the DNC, EPA will certify you.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
    While some of my question is stated in my typical Obama Bashing Jest, I am however, really looking for a serious answer to the question.

I may have to have someone post the question for me since my rep for supporting Obama is rather tarnished here.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 03:59 PM
    You asked for a happy medium. Well, the answer is 35psi cold for your tires. This is what I do for my own cars and for the customers.
    Pressure will raise with heat, so 40 is actually too high. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it unlike most politicians.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I run 34 to 36 psi (cold) in my Michelin X tires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicycle Tire Pressure [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a bike and read the tire pressure to be between 40 and 65. This seems high to me as the pressure in a car tire is around 32 psi. In any case, what pressure is best and what determines whether the pressure should be 40 or more up to 65? Thank you, Rick

Tire pressure [ 3 Answers ]

The max psi on my pop up camper's tires is 50, What should I put the air pressure at?

Tire pressure light [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have having a problem with the tire pressure light for my 2006 Nissan Quest. I lost the cap for a while, and the light kept blinking that that tire was unreadable. I got another cap from the dealer and it still keeps blinking. It is driving me crazy! Please advise.

Tire pressure [ 2 Answers ]

What should your trie pressure?? :confused:

Tire pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the correct tire pressure for my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer (AKA Ford Explorer). The sticker on the inside of the driver door says the correct pressure is 26psi, but that would have been of the original Firestone tires (that were recalled) The truck currently has Goodyear...

View more questions Search