Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    48roger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
    New computer don't support old files
    New computer last week. I try to open word files that I used from my old computer. This new computer gives me an error that says works can not open format not supported by any of the installed converters. What is going on. What is a fix for me?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 01:46 PM
    You are using Microsoft Works on your new comp while you used Microsoft Word on your old comp?

Aug 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    You are using Microsoft Works on your new comp while you used Microsoft Word on your old comp?
    Thanks I installed word on my new computer. Same error?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Were you using word xp on your old comp? What file extension are the files saved in? doc or .docx?

Aug 8, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Were you using word xp on your old comp? What file extension are the files saved in? .doc or .docx?
    I was using word perfect on my old. Using MS Works on my new one. The file ext is doc.
    Thank for the help
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Ah, OK, I got it now.

To open a wordperfect document in Word

1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. In the Files of type list, click either WordPerfect 5.x or WordPerfect 6.x.
    3. In the File name box, enter the name of the file that you want, and then click Open.

Now, if you don't see the options "wordperfect 5.x or wordperfect 6.x" in the list, then let me know.

Aug 8, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Ah, ok, I got it now.

To open a wordperfect document in Word

1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. In the Files of type list, click either WordPerfect 5.x or WordPerfect 6.x.
    3. In the File name box, enter the name of the file that you want, and then click Open.

Now, if you don't see the options "wordperfect 5.x or wordperfect 6.x" in the list, then let me know.
    I went to the file type and there was not on thin there?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 02:21 PM
    OK if that's the case... you're going to need to convert the wordperfect files to word.

There are plenty of converters online, but I have never used any of them so I can't really give you a recommendation. Also, a lot of them charge you to convert them, so choose wisely.

If you look from Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com and type in "wordperfect to word converter" I'm sure you can find something.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Word includes converters to open existing Wordperfect files. Simply re-run your Word setup and select a full or custom setup and select all the included converters.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop to Desktop Computer- how do I share files [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know how to setup the laptop so it can share and get files from my desktop.. I know you have to set directories to share but I can't remember how to do the whole thing. Thanks Marv

VCR tapes to computer files [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was any way to hook up a VCR to a computer so that I can save some stuff I have on my VHS tapes onto a CD.

Computer missing files, folders, components, etc [ 1 Answers ]

My computer has sections missing from it everywhere. I can't access MShome or internet connections or half my files... How can I fix?

MY SLOW COMPUTER-maybe registry files? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! You wouldn't believe just how long it took me just to log onto this site. My computer is running extremely slow. I have a gut feeling it is my registry files. I degfragged, ran diagnostics, cleaning up my files, etc. Nothing works. I have downloaded a Registry Cleaner file, but, of course,...

View more questions Search