Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Why do we forward jokes.explained.
    I got this from my cousin this morning and it rang so true, I wanted to share it with all of you here:

This explains why we forward jokes.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.

'There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog
    Walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'

Soooo .

Sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding jokes to us without writing a word.

Maybe this will explain.

When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do? You forward jokes.

When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes.

When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how, you forward jokes.

Also to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, you are still cared for, guess what you get?

A forwarded joke.

So, next time if you get a joke, don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile.

You are all welcome @ my water bowl anytime!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Hi progunr,

That's a warming thought... I love that story. Yes I get lots of things forwarded to me like this... some I couldn't even pass on ( know what I mean )
    I'd never actually thought of it like that but yes I suppose friends are thinking of us when they are sent, I've suddenly realized I must have more friends than I thought.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I've heard that one before, but somehow I NEVER tire of reading it. I'm starting to tear up as that is so true about some people and the beloved pet dogs or pet cats that they would not leave them behind ever.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    Hi progunr,

Thats a warming thought...i love that story. Yes i get lots of things forwarded to me like this.....some i couldn't even pass on ( know what i mean )
    I'd never actually thought of it like that but yes i suppose friends are thinking of us when they are sent, i've suddenly realized i must have more friends than i thought.
    It does make you stop and think for a moment, and it really is more than just a forwarded joke much of the time.

It even makes me rethink about all the jokes I've forwarded myself, and where the desire to do so comes from.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 12, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    .... 'we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'
    But what if you have no dog, and your partner is your best friend, and walked on with you to that first stop, and you both entered and drank there??

:confused:

:D

·
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    But what if you have no dog, and your partner is your best friend, and walked on with you to that first stop, and you both entered and drank there ???

:confused:

:D

·
    Then maybe that's the way it was meant to be Cred :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lets put all our non dirty jokes (blonde jokes recommended) here [ 17 Answers ]

I will start What do you call a blonde with two brain cells? Pregnant Why did the blonde stare at a can of frozen orange juice for 2 hours? Because it said concentrate! What do you do if a Blond throws a grenade at you? Pull the pin out and throw it back!

Nascar explained [ 9 Answers ]

Here's some insight into how they train to race in Nascar: NASCAR Coach Reveals Winning Strategy: 'Drive Fast' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Health insurance explained [ 2 Answers ]

*MEDICAL INSURANCE EXPLAINED* Q. What does HMO stand for? A. This is actually a variation of the phrase, 'HEY MOE.' Its roots go back to a concept pioneered by Moe of the Three Stooges, who discovered that a patient could be made to forget the pain in his foot if he was poked hard enough in...

May I have my tests explained to me? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello again, it seems that whenever I check in on a monthly basis to my beloved probation office, that I always get some office clerk that cannot answer my questions. Would it be too much to ask to speak with a knowledgeable officer. And can they refuse my request to have my pee tests explained to...

Mortgage explained [ 3 Answers ]

How does a mortgage work exactly? Adriaan

View more questions Search