Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    London Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 09:48 AM
    HVAC company installed wrong unit
    I recently had a new air conditioner installed and the proposal was for a Trane 2-ton R410 unit. They installed a Trane 2-ton R22 unit. I caught this a couple weeks after the unit was fully installed. I have no problems with the R22 unit, as it runs fine. The installer is willing to work with me to remedy the situation, but I am unsure what a fair offer would be. Should I have them re-install a new unit? He has offered to extend the labor warranty from 1 year to 5 years? Should I ask for a partial refund? What would be a fair amount? Looking for some good advice.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
    The R22 unit probably works better and may have been cheaper. R22 will get more expensive as time goes on, so it's a pay now or pay later type of thing.

The labor warrany really doesn't cost him anything. Because it's his mistake, I think he should eat the difference AND give you the extended labor warranty for the screw up.

Your contract probably states an R410A unit and you probably could take him to court to honor that. Replacing with an R410A unit will cost him lots of bucks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 11:59 AM
    If they did not change the indoor coil they will have to if they go from R-22 to R-410. The 410 coil is larger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct size of the HVAC unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am replacing Central heating AC system in the house and getting very different estimates for HVAC unit sizes from different contractors. I live in Massachusetts close to the ocean (could be very humid) Unit goes to two stores 27x25 totally 1350 sf addition built in 1974. Addition opens...

Is my HVAC system installed professionally? [ 1 Answers ]

HVAC installation. I recently purchased a house and subsequently did major construction to it. I have a number of questions regarding the installation of the entire HVAC system. The house is approximately 2800 square feet, and originally had 2 units. Each one is 24k BTU 13 sear. The air...

HUnter 44110 ThermoStat installed HVAC not work [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to install Hunter 44110 programmable thermostat on a carrier hvac using the factory instruction. The ac will not work either compressor or fan. I tried to reinstall original carrier thermostat and ac will not run with it either. How do I correct the problem?

Correct unit installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that was built in early 2007. The Heat and cooling system that was used by our builder is a Goodman CPLT36-1B. This is the outside unit. When we moved into our home last June I asked the home inspector if this was a large enough unit. He told me that it was "enough". Here's the...

Poster in E&L needs some HVAC advice also, LRA of a 5 Ton unit [ 2 Answers ]

This is not really practical to try to deliver 120 volts at 150 feet and have the capacity for 400 amps. Assuming the maximum load of each 200 amp service to be 80% of full rating, would mean the calculations would be based on 320 amps, or 160 amps for each service entrance. Thanks for your...

View more questions Search