Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovemydukie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 11:04 AM
    My best buddie is sick
    My mini dashund has been having the runs, and bleeding bright red blood (seperate from his bowels. He is very tired and now underweight I have had him to the vet who treated him for bacterial infection, then had him in the hospital on intervenis, then told me it was colitus. The poor thing has been sick 2months. This doctor cost a lot, and when I asked if I could be billed and bring him in again they said no, I need to pay at the visit. I am heartbroken cause he is not better. He now sounds congested only in the nose. I was wondering if anyone has been through this, he is the geatest friend I have ever had. I don't want him in pain, but if he can get better I would do anything. Can anyone please give me advice. I know I need to find another vet, but I can't take him for about 2 weeks and I am afraid he may not last.
    Thank you so much for any help.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2006, 05:27 AM
    HI,
    I am so sorry to read this. Dogs can be a member of the family, just like anyone else, and are best friends, with so much love to give.
    All I can say is to try your best in getting him to another Vet, as soon as you can. A runny nose could mean a cold, or might be some of the infection left over. At this point, I would give him anything he likes to eat, even table food, which I do not suggest as a daily habit; cause it doesn't have all the nutrients and vitamins they need, like a good dry dog food. But, if you can get him to eat anything, it would be better than nothing.
    I do wish you the best, and that's really all I know to do, without a Vet.

Apr 16, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Thank you fredg for responding I am trying to get duke to eat some mighty dog can food he shows no interst in table food but ate 1/4 can of mighty dog yesterday. We are noe searching for a vet that will work with us. I just wanted to thank you for your response.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2006, 08:57 PM
    When the vet did all that for your precious baby, did they also check for a foreign object in the intestines? Dogs like to pick up things and sometimes eat them. Just a thought to help you help this little one.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Hi,
    A good Vet would have taken an X-Ray, to check this out. But, it's a good thing to mention to the Vet, if the dog has one who doesn't have an X-Ray machine... might have to take to a different Vet.
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2006, 11:47 AM
    By all means, if you are unsure of your doctors medical beliefs, please look for a second opinion. The best place to go would be any 24 hour emergency facility in your area. They are well equipped and oftem have more up to date info on treating your pups condition.

Apr 24, 2006, 02:59 PM
    I am sorry I haven't responded before now, but my little Dukie passed away. I feel very lost without him. I got to hold him while he died. I called a 24 hour vet and told them I knew he was real bad and they told me bring him in and they would see what they could do if I had the finances. He passed while my son was calling other vets. He was my best friend and baby boy. I love him and will never have another like him. I also did switch vets for my sara, she will never see that vet. Thanks again for all your responses.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 24, 2006, 03:01 PM
    So sorry for you!!

Hypatia
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Sorry for your loss
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Apr 26, 2006, 09:17 AM
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a mini doxie also who is my best friend. She's been sick for more then 2 months now and is still in the process of getting better. Finding the right vet is very important. Again, I'm sorry for your loss of your precious one.

Apr 26, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Thank you all for your thoughts. Vlynn123 I hope you little angel is doing better.
    hihopes88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
    My maxi (28 lb) mini Doxie jumped off a chair (normal for him) but this time he cried out and was limping. Within 24 hours he was "fine" but jumped down again tonight and he is limping again. His leg is sore, but lets me move it in all directions. I would like to give him something for pain. Is Aspirin 81 mg OK to give him?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old sick [ 50 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have a question about my son. Before I start he has seen a doctor and they are trying to figure this out but I thought one for you might have an idea. He is going to be 3 next month. Around the beginning of May he got the Rotavirus. I never heard of it before he got it but I guess it...

My dad is very sick [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just found out last night that my dad is in the hospital with Chronic Leukimia. According to the doctors they said that this is a very treatable disease and that the disease itself is non-aggressive. The only thing that I don't understand is that my father had no symptoms. Such...

My dachshund is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Scooby is our dachshund's name. He is wonderful to have around. Yesterday he started coughing and trying to get something out of his throat. When he does get something up it is just white mucus. He isn't eating much and isn't his usually playful self. What can I do for him?

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

View more questions Search