Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaHutchings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Taking a child out of the country by a non-custodial parent
    I am the primary custodial parent of a 21 month-old baby, and her father, who has visitation took her to Costa Rica on his family's private jet without getting written consent from me. I thought the law was either parent custodial and non-custodial parents have to get written consent before taking a child out of the country. In addition, is this a national law or can it vary from state to state?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaHutchings
    I am the primary custodial parent of a 21 month-old baby, and her father, who has visitation took her to Costa Rica on his family's private jet without getting written consent from me. I thought the law was either parent custodial and non-custodial parents have to get written consent before taking a child out of the country. In addition, is this a national law or can it vary from state to state?

It's not a State rule; it's the policy of the admitting country (in most cases). Apparently Costa Rica has no such law.

You can go back to Court and get the visitation order changed so this can't happen again, but that won't, of course, change what has already happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 12 yrs and have a 17 yr old daughter. She has been in my custody for all her life. Her father has never properly supervised her on weekend visits and she has gotten herself involved with an acquaintance of his who is 35 yrs old. In addition due to a complete lack of...

Legal & Custodial Parent Moving out of Country [ 4 Answers ]

My 16 year old son lives with his mom and step-father in Louisiana. She has both legal and physical custody. The decree says I have visitation every other weekend, and alternate holiday, standard stuff. I have always used my visitation each summer since I live in California. My ex has decided...

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

View more questions Search