Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBR549 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 07:53 AM
    New Whirlpool Dryer Problem
    I recently purchase a new Whirlpool washer and dryer.
    1. Upon delivery the dryer wouldn’t start at all. I checked the outlet and dryer connection with a volt meter and both showed 220v so the delivery person said it was a bad dryer and took it back.
    2. Upon the next delivery the dryer ran for about 3 min. and stopped. Thinking there may have been a short I replaced the receptacle and the breaker but it did the same thing.
    3. Dryer #3 ran the next evening and the next morning till about 11 am then it too stopped. I have checked everything short of pulling new wire.
    4. Dyer #4 (a different brand this time) would not start initially so I checked and replaced the dryer cord. It too ran for awhile then stopped. The next morning it started again then stopped.
    No other electrical problems at all. Dryer vent is new
    Breaker box has three 220v appliances on the same side but I have had no previous problems until this!
    Any help would be appreciated
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 08:15 AM
    When you test the outlet using a tester, first I assume you are testing across the two outer straight blades to measure the 240 volts.

Next you should test between either one the straight blades and the neutral, which looks like an "L" shaped hole.

Here you should read 120 volts, from both straight blades to the neutral, of course , one at a time.

The drum motor and the timer motor in a dryer runs on 120 volts. This is what seems to be the problem, that there is a problem with the neutral. If the neutral is broken somehow, this would cause the dryer to not operate, and everyone is missing testing the neutral because they believe the dryer only runs on 240 volts alone.

This can be a loose connection in the outlet, any junction box between the outlet and the panel, or in the panel itself. Even can be a broken wire in the cable, since you said you checked everything short of replacing the cable.

You may even have a loose or bad connection in the service drop, meter, or the main neutral lug in the panel. If this is the case thou, you can experience even more problems with other circuits and appliances in the home.

My advice is to check the neutral through the entire circuit, and panel.

Get back with what you have found , or more questions if needed.
    ag2555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I recently purchased a washer and dryer from ABC warehouse, both whirlpool, the washer had to be replaced within 3 days, it would not run.
    A service tech is coming today to check on the dryer. It will not run either. The units are less than 2 weeks old. No other electrical problems in the house. No changes to the wiring that has been working for 15 years with the other washer and dryer.
    lilachorse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 07:30 AM
    In March 2007, we bought a Whirlpool dryer. In less than a week, the dryer would not tumble. This was the reason we had to get a new dryer as the 15 year old dryer had also stopped tumbling. Had an electrician come out and breaker box was fine and the plug was fine, but out of an abundance of caution, we replaced the wall socket. Lowe's replaced the dryer and now 18 months later the replacement dryer would not turn on, but the light inside the unit was on. Checked breaker box and nothing had tripped. Unplugged the dryer and plugged it back in--the light inside the unit went out.

What is going on with Whirlpool dryers?
    bobo2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Whirpool electricdryer ,check all the thermastats and heating element with ohms tester ,check out good . What other problem may be the cause.
    bobo2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 06:39 PM
    [QUOTE=bobo2013;3363050]whirpool electricdryer ,check all the thermastats and heating element with ohms tester ,check out good . What other problem may be the cause. Have 220 to block connection and dryer dose run.
    Kyle Johnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 03:52 PM
    I have a fairly new cabrio dryer. The power tuns on but when you push start button the sensing light blinks and it doesn't start. Anybody with advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Dryer Keeps Shutting Off [ 11 Answers ]

My electric Whirlpool dryer is 4 years old, model # GEQ9858JQ0. The dryer shuts off intermittently, running for a minute or more at times. Starts right back up when turned back on. Sometimes it'll shut off 5 times in a row then run for the whole 45 minutes when turned back on again. I thought...

Whirlpool Dryer won't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model #LGR7646EQ2) that got a tennis show caught in between the drum and the door. I heard the shoe thumping, then the dryer stopped. I removed the tennis shoe, but the dryer won't start back up. I can turn the drum by hand, but the start button won't turn it on. ...

My Whirlpool Dryer is over heating [ 1 Answers ]

It has a weird smell where the heat blows into the dryer It is getting extremely hot I have replaced the thermostat and 2 other thing but it still is over heating what could be the problem.:(

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer which has stopped spinning, the motor still runs, and it still heats up. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it. The model number is #LER7646DQ0.

Whirlpool dryer-noise problem [ 3 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 year old whirlpool dryer just started making a humming sound. My husband was trying to dry some old tennis shoes when it kept opening the dryer door. After his third attempt, it started to make this humming sound. It seems to be working. I have not dryed anything because I am not sure...

View more questions Search