Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil TJ Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Wow I can't believe you go a day without feeding what about bloat?

What about bloat? I have heard of a few dogs that have bloated on Raw, BUT most of those were dogs that had a very high family incidences with bloat, so it was a genetic trait as opposed to a envirolmental trait.

Jaime
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:13 PM
    [QUOTE=israelissick]If you research you will see that fasting once a week is highly recommended. In the wild dogs probably wouldn't get a meal every day. What does not feeding for a day have to do with bloat? QUOTE]

This article and others that I have read on the subject lead me to believe that it is better to feed more than 1x a day... I would think a dog that went without food for a day would wolf it down therefore more apt to swallow air which from these studies indicate that swalloing air can be one of the factors for a dog having an episode.
    Bloat in Dogs

I know danes are prone to bloat, hence my surprise of him having them fast for a day.

"Bloat is almost unheard of for raw feeders.[/"

I would like to read a study where it indicates that dogs fed a raw diet do not have this problem. I did notice the study did say feed 30 percent raw meat daily, as one of the ways to prevent the problem.

Aug 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
    First I am a female so you are surprised that SHE fasts them once a week.

It is better to feed kibble twice daily. Have you ever put kibble in water to soak? Its preety gross how mush most kibble will swell up, that's what's happening in your dogs stomach each time it eats, that's why it is recommended to feed more then once daily.

You read about a raw diet, I mean a raw diet not BARF or kibble, and it said to feed more then 1x daily? Pretty much every raw feeder I know ( and I know about 200 personally and over 2000 on the lists I belong too) feed once a day with most giving a fast day.

What study showed feeding 30percent raw meat prevents bloat? There are no official studies showing that feeding Raw reduces the risk of bloat ( although the one you read seems close) its all personal experience and talking with other raw feeders... And honestly, you can find a study to prove anything if you have enough money, so I don't put all my trust into studies. Find out who backed them first.

My dogs usually have bones included in their meal, and they take the time to chew the bones, they all eat in their kennels, so there is no need to rush. When I fed kibble it was nothing but rushin gto eat as fast as we could. On kibble I found they were ALWAYS hungry. On raw they get full, and feel full.

Jaime

Aug 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    I would like to read a study where it indicates that dogs fed a raw diet do not have this problem. I did notice the study did say feed 30 percent raw meat daily, as one of the ways to prevent the problem.
    You will note I did not say that Raw feeders did not have this problem, I said: "I've heard of a few dogs that have bloated on Raw, BUT most of those were dogs that had a very high family incidences with bloat, so it was a genetic trait as opposed to a enviromental trait."

In danes there are certain lines that tend more to bloat. I have 2 danes and their grnadma, grandpa and numerous other relatives have bloated... These two danes ( and their dam who has since crossed the rainbow bridge) have never bloated. One, her name is Ripley, she is 3 yrs and she has been raw fed all her life, she has 2 brothers ( both fed kibble) that have bloated... Her, and her 2 sisters ( all fed raw) have never. No it doesn't prove anything, but it sure doesn't having me switching back to kibble.

Jaime
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
    I think that study mentions dog that are feed strickly dry have a higher rate of bloat... makes sense fill up or swallow kibble whole and it hits the wet stomach and swells.

I personally mix dry with human food for my dogs although mine are not prone to bloat... I cook for my dogs everyday. They have done fine so far.

Actually my post was in answre to israls post.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
    I wonder if the stomach emptys out slower if the dogs are feed raw versus dry.. I would like to see a study done on that... there was a purdue study... not sure who funded it but would be interested in knowiing... I think purnia did a study on food can't remember what it was though. I'm sure I can dig up the purdue study... but The great dane lady ripped it to shreds... so who knows... I think she feeds her dogs eagle pack

Myself I am not adverse to anyone feeding their dogs whatever as long as their dogs are healthy and happy.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Canine Bloat - Tufts Breeding & Genetics 2003

I think this is part of the purdue study.

I believe the study was funded by Morris Animal foundation.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Aug 16, 2008, 01:40 AM
    bushg what kind of human food do you feed your pets?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, watermelon, apples-no seeds! pork, some veggies, chicken, turkey, ground chuck, fish, brown rice... Just a variety of things.
    One of my dogs will eat a wider variety than the other one will.
    They only get a certain amount of it per day, they also eat dry dog food.
    dontboxmein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ms williams View Post
    i agree with alot of things on your list but some are a little silly. eggs are actually very good for dogs (not daily). they can even eat the shells for calcium. cottage cheese is also a good digestive aid. dogs are naturally scavengers and can digest and handle microrganisims we cannot. samonella and e.coli do not effect dogs like they do humans. i'm not saying spoiled food is great but it wont kill them.
    I personally have been on a mostly raw diet for over eight years. This includes raw meat and two raw eggs a day. Have not gotten sick yet. If I can do it so can your dogs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Raw is a really bad idea, Raw meat diets spark concern - January 15, 2005
    dontboxmein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    This article is about "commercial raw meat diets". That is no way to feed raw meat to any one. To eat raw meat, you buy raw meat and eat it. If it is packaged into some commercial product, yes avoid it. If you want to make raw meat safer just freeze it for a while. That is what they do to make sushi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

Spare Rib Bones [ 6 Answers ]

Can dogs eat these type of bones?

Brittal bones? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had really painful joints for a couple of years and had different doctors give give different answers. Arthritis, fibromialga, well about 8 weeks ago I had a fall and I think I broke my toe, swelling didn't and still hasn't gone down. My doctor is sending me for an exray as he thinks it could...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

View more questions Search