Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rzuleta Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Are these transliterations to written sanskrit are correct?
    Hello.

I'm looking for help to check if these transliteration to written sanskrit of my wife's name and my name are correct:

- Ximena (pronounced: hee MEYN ah). Its meaning is "listening". Using the Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit suggested by Clough, it seems the transliteration is "upazruti". Is this correct?

- René (pronounced re-NAY). It is of French origin, and its meaning is "rebirth". According the online dictionary the transliteration to sanskrit is "punarjanma". Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 04:03 AM
    I don't know if they are absolutely correct. Hopefully, the two people that do come around here and who really seem to know their stuff about these things will answer your question. I do hope that by my posting here, that it prompt them to show up.

Thanks!
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Aug 10, 2008, 04:44 AM
    For Ximena, Sraavya would be appropriate - that name is a very popular female
    Name in India.

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?s...e&direction=ES

What you have found for the second name is correct.
    rzuleta Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Thanks very much for your help Clough and VSPrasad

You've being of tremendous help!
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Aug 28, 2008, 07:18 AM
    - Ximena (pronounced: hee MEYN ah) = हीमेना

- René (pronounced re-NAY) = रिने

Please understand this:
    Your name remains the same, let the language be any.
    It is not translated but TRANSLITERATED i.e. written
    using the letters from the other language as per pronunciation.

Transliteration is used for names &
    translation is used for words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translation of sanskrit phrase into sanskrit characters [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for sanskrit characters for this phrase: "Heyam Dukham Anagatam" Thanks!

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Availability of Words or Names When Translating to the Written Sanskrit [ 6 Answers ]

Sometimes when people appear on this site who really seem to know how to translate words or names from other languages to the written Sanskrit, there are words or names for which there are no equivalents in Sanskrit to which they can be translated that they mention. I am wondering if there is any...

Letter written during NC from boyfriend. [ 21 Answers ]

Guys.. what does this mean? I didn't contact him for 2 weeks then received this email. This is a bad idea to write to you, but I want you to know where I stand. I am NOT over you, but we both know the way I've been treating you has been wrong of late. And I don't know why I have those on and...

Open vs written [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know for a fact and where to find it is a credit card debt in Georgia an open end debt with a 4 year sol or is it a written debit with a 6 year sol. It's like looking for hens teeth.

View more questions Search