Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
    How can atheism be a hoax?
    In the now closed topic "Religion all a hoax?" someone unimportant posted : "The real hoax is atheism".
    Talk about a non-argument !!!

Let's see the real meaning of the word Atheism :

Atheism

A Theism

A = without or no

Theism = belief in one of more gods

Atheism = being without (or having no) belief in one or more gods.

Now : specially as so far nobody ever has proved that god or gods exist :

Can anyone explain to me why being without (or having no) belief in one or more gods can be a "hoax" ???

:rolleyes:

·
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
    To myself I believe most people have some belief, and if not they view thierself as their god.

If a person was truly one I do not believe they would even worry about telling someone, since since they would have no belief, they would care less about any belief.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
    It isn't a hoax, it's a choice, and your right as a human being.

I can't comment about religion being a hoax, because I've stated many times that I don't believe in organized religion, or church. Someone who does believe in religion and church can better comment about it's validity, hopefully in a respectful manner.

I guess that I'm a theist, according to the above, but I am not a Christian. I do believe in God, just not the man made things associated with that belief. Making sense? ;)

I hope that I answered your question, at least part of it. :)
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Fr_Chuck : with all respect : what a nonsense ! So because I do not religious believe, you suggest that I view myself as my own god ?

Please do not INSULT me with such ravings ! Why should I view myself as a non-existing entity? I do exist, and I do not hide for anyone. Your deity - should she exist - could learn a lot from me !

·
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    I guess that I'm a theist, according to the above, but I am not a Christian. I do believe in God, just not the man made things associated with that belief. Making sense?
    You are just as many of the Founding Fathers : you are a deist !

:)

·
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Had to look it up, but I have to agree, I'm a deist. Finally, a word that applies to me.

Sorry, off topic. ;)
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
    ·

Can anyone explain to me why being without (or having no) belief in one or more gods can be a "hoax" ?

·
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Definition of hoax: A hoax is a deliberate attempt to dupe, deceive or trick an audience into believing, or accepting, that something is real, when in fact it is not; or that something is true, when in fact it is false.

I don't believe that not believing is a hoax, nor do I think that believing is a hoax.

Neither side is deliberately attempting to dupe or decieve the other side. Both sides are just stating what they believe.

Does this help?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
    I know Crededo, a rather amazing statement!!

There is nothing much to call a hoax if the only thing that applies to all atheists' thinking is that they don't believe in gods. :D

Plain and simple, don't believe that the following are gods... Zeus, Allah, Apollo, Aten, GodAlmighty... da da... da da...

Nothing else, "Don't believe in gods".
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:51 PM
    The religious *leaders*(ministers, Imams, Pope, Bishops etc etc) perpetrate and continue an ancient hoax, Alty, in my opinion, for their own aggrandizement and wealth. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Chuck,

I have told you many times that FundiEv Christianity in America is a POLITICAL PARTY and has to be opposed because they are toxic to our freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I don't think I'm god, and please don't smear me anymore.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    In the now closed topic "Religion all a hoax?" someone unimportant posted: "The real hoax is atheism".
    ·
    I'm not taking sides on the religion argument, but the words in color speak VOLUMES.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    The religious *leaders*(ministers, Imams, Pope, Bishops etc etc) perpetrate and continue an ancient hoax, Alty, in my opinion, for their own aggrandizement and wealth. :)
    I do have to say that I don't think believing in God is a hoax, but, having said that, I do believe that organized religion is largely based on wealth. (just my opinion, don't want to start a fight everyone)

I have a friend that belongs to the Pentecostal church, her and her husband give 1/3 of their pay cheque to the church every month, because their pastor tells them to. Why, because whatever you give you will receive tenfold from God. This is mans views, not Gods, and they have yet to receive a dime, so there goes that theory. But the church is beautiful, marble floors, leather covered pews, and a very well dressed pastor. ;)

Now, I don't believe in the bible, but, to prove a point about organized religion, I will use the bible to try and convey my point. Jesus preached everywhere, to everyone, the poor, the rich, even to prostitutes. He did not have a grand church in which to preach, he did not ask for money for preaching. So, why a church, why organized religion?

The Catholic church is, as a whole, very wealthy, Jesus was but a poor carpenter, that's what the bible says, and yes, I do know the bible, have read the bible, that's why I don't believe in the bible. 10 plus years of Catholic school has served me well. ;)

Organized religion is a man made entity, not a God made entity. The bible was written by men, not by God. So, why organized religion? Perhaps it's not God that is a hoax, but organized religion that is. (just my thoughts on the matter, once again, I don't want to start a fight).

Atheism isn't a hoax, it's a belief that God does not exist. As human beings, with free will, we do have a right to believe what we choose, nes pas?

I cannot prove a belief, and if I could, where would I begin to look for the proof, in the bible, in Church? You see my dilema. :)

Choux, have we reached a truce between us? I hope so, because I am interested in your point of view. :)
    -

Aug 8, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    im not taking sides on the religion arguement, but the words in color speak VOLUMES.
    Well... one has to keep to the rules of the board...

:D :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

·
    nishantmt Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 06:48 AM
    How can god be a hoax. If there are laws of nature there has to be a law maker. Actually god is evidenced all the time but can't be felt as our senses our imperfect.

Not having belief in God is to put ourself in real danger.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nishantmt
    Not having belief in God is to put ourself in real danger.
    What danger is that?

BTW your avatar has two devils in it and "heaven" is misspelt.

Aug 8, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Religion has some prescribed rules being an atheist breaks the rules can lead you to worse. Don't ask about that worse simply follow the rules.

Aug 8, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    What danger is that?

BTW your avatar has two devils in it and "heaven" is misspelt.
    Religion has some prescribed rules being an atheist breaks the rules can lead you to worse. Don't ask about that worse simply follow the rules
    -

Aug 8, 2008, 07:04 AM
    religion has some prescribed rules being an athiest breaks the rules can lead you to worse. dont ask about that worse simply follow the rules.
    Hmmmmm , that seems to be a rather simplistic approach... Do what you are told to do or else... Heard that before... No more than a silencer...

Why as per religious claim did we receive free will , if in the end you "dont ask ... but simply follow the rules" ?

·
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 07:06 AM
    religion has some prescribed rules being an athiest breaks the rules can lead you to worse. dont ask about that worse simply follow the rules
    Religious people have rules within their religion, the rules do not affect those outside of it. I'm an atheist and my life is going great. If one is taught not to ask any questions then it's time to re-evaluate what you're involved with. I can handle the worst that life can throw at me. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Www.skinbleaching.net IS HOAX [ 14 Answers ]

Hi All, This is not a question about skin lightening. I just want to do everybody a favor by letting you know about a business called skinbleaching.net. I am sure many of you have come across this site when you researched on skin lightening products. They sure sound good BUT they will take your...

Hoax or not? [ 4 Answers ]

The email stating that if you get an email titled: "You've received a Post Card" that it is a new virus. Is it true or not?

This is the best video I've seen about atheism [ 53 Answers ]

LiveLeak.com - God bless atheism He explains it very well and I agree with him. What do you think?

Pantheism, Pandeism, Deism, Atheism, what's the difference? [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between pantheism, pandeism, deism, and atheism? Do all of them come back to actually meaning the same thing? If they're all different, what's the difference? If not the same, what other types of things like these are there?

View more questions Search