Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eoliver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Student Loan
    I have a student loan which is ten years old. It's in default. My income tax refunds are being kept because of the outstanding loans. Also I'm still receiving calls from a collection agency regarding that same student loan. Does the statue of limitations apply to student loans.

eoliver
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 01:26 PM
    There is no statute on student loans, they will find a way to get all their money, no matter how long it takes them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 02:39 PM
    But there is no SOL on these debts. And they can not normally even be gotten rid of in bankrutpcy, And if you have not paid in 10 years it is possible you will now owe at least twice what you originally did.

You need to get with and arrange payments
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 09:03 AM
    You do not indicate whether this is a US or Canadian Student Loan. You don't indicate whether the loan is goernment or bank. More details required to properly answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Old Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a Viet Nam Veteran. He was drafted while he was in college. When he went into the military he had about $5,000 in student loans. He was in the military for about six years. Got out and went to work. About 6 years ago he went to buy a car and found out that with interest he...

Student Loan Interest [ 1 Answers ]

I paid student loan interest in 2005 and 2006. Can I claim both years interest on this years tax return?

View more questions Search