Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommy10 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Home massage
    Don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes. My wife is a licensed massage therapist, she has a client who is a successful and lucrative business man here in town, he often requests to have his massages done at his home, later in the evening which she does. Me and my wife have been discussing back and forth on if this is crossing an ethical line and if it is appropriate. The city has an ordinance not allowing home massage but I'm not sure how strict it is. Just looking for other opinions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy10
    Don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes. My wife is a licensed massage therapist, she has a client who is a succesful and lucrative business man here in town, he often requests to have his massages done at his home, later in the evening which she does. Me and my wife have been discussing back and forth on if this is crossing an ethical line and if it is appropriate. The city has an ordinance not allowing home massage but I'm not sure how strict it is. Just looking for other opinions.

If there's an law against it I wouldn't do it because she could be arrested, to say nothing of losing her license. How strictly it's enforced doesn't really matter unless they enforce it against her.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 03:09 AM
    I would like to add, that professional massages are usually done on the proper types of tables for doing them. I would also like to assume that your wife has the proper type of table.

If it's permissible for a person where you live to be conducting business as a masseuse out of their home, then maybe saying to that customer that you need to be doing the massages out of your place of business in order to be doing them properly and thus being within the boundaries of the ordinance, could be a possible angle that she might explore to explain to him why the massages need to be taking place at her place of business and not his home.

Just a thought for you...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
    If it is against the law, it is against the law, also as noted does she use a portable table, I know they do make them.

So for the ethics, it is a matter of breaking the law, not hard to determine that then
    just_a_guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 12:29 AM
    Well maybe you should start learning how to be a masseuse and start massaging some women see what she says to that. I read a story once about a goose and a gander.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 01:31 AM
    I get a massage in my home every other week by a licensed mousse, she is a friend and my wife knows her. I have to admit that initially I felt a little self conscious about her bringing her portable table and music into my home. And I might add that in the beginning my wife was always here when I got the massage and that she also got several from our friend. But over the last several months my wife has not got a massage and she is not home about half the time. Maybe my situation is a little different in that this person is a friend of both of us and we have known her for years. This mousse is a very ethical person and very good in giving massages. I have my own company and have little time to travel for a massage and it certainly helps with the stress so now I really enjoy her coming to our home.

Now, with that being said, if my wife were to ever disagree for even one minute about my doing this I would cease immediately. And if the tables were turned I would honestly say that if a man were coming here to give her a massage I would have serious qualms about it. Not fair I know, and I trust my wife explicitly, but I have to admit that I probably would have a problem with this. I am wrong in taking this position but that is how I feel, even if the man were a friend. Honesty is the best medicine I hear so I am trying to be honest about this.

Fact is my wife encouraged me to get the massages due to the stress levels that my doctor said needed to be lowered immediately.

I have a very understanding and loving wife obviously. And personally I would never jeopardize our relationship or our marriage. I encourage my wife to be here when the mousse is here and for her to have a massage also. She feels she can trust me and again... I would never betray that.
    Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 06:26 AM
    A great massage is great, nothing wrong with those, I get one every chance I can. Everyone should. It is the issue of if legal or not legal, was all I considered
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    Now, with that being said, if my wife were to ever disagree for even one minute about my doing this I would cease immediately. And if the tables were turned I would honestly say that if a man were coming here to give her a massage I would have serious qualms about it. Not fair I know, and I trust my wife explicitly, but I have to admit that I probably would have a problem with this. I am wrong in taking this position but that is how I feel, even if the man were a friend. Honesty is the best medicine I hear so I am trying to be honest about this.

Fact is my wife encouraged me to get the massages due to the stress levels that my doctor said needed to be lowered immediately.

I have a very understanding and loving wife obviously. And personally I would never jeopardize our relationship or our marriage. I encourage my wife to be here when the mousse is here and for her to have a massage also. She feels she can trust me and again...I would never betray that.
    Stringer

The question was whether the wife should give home massages when there is an ordinance against them -

I would think the answer is, no, it's against the law and she could be arrested.

Value of massages aside - the law says no, it's illegal, no matter what the benefits may be.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Retraction:

You guys are absolutely correct, sorry I wasn't focused... I even felt that as I was writing my response but it was 3:30am so I will use that as my excuse. Obviously I took off on the aspect of coming to someones' home and the benefit of a massage.

12 lashes... k and I will be sure that I am totally awake... next time...

My apologizes friends...

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best massage,got talent [ 2 Answers ]

What are the first steps to becoming a massage therapist, what do you think I should do

How to sent massage PC to PC under the domain [ 1 Answers ]

How to sent massage one PC to another PC under the domain (client side) in a LAN?

What massage is better? [ 4 Answers ]

Thai or Remedial? I'm not exactly sure of the differences.. I tried a Thai one yesterday and I already feel the difference in my energy. I woke up much easier this morning. Both are supposed to be good for toning. I don't know if I've had a remedial but I did get one a few years...

View more questions Search