Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlyce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Ending a call with an Irate Customer
    Hello All,

Have you ever had a call when you had an irate caller and when you are ending the call you say "Is there anything else I can do for you?" and then the customer goes at it again. Just wanting to know if anyone has an alternate ending to the phone call in a situation like this.

Thanks! :confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Essentially you thank the caller for calling your company and hang up. That other ending is just an opening like you said to wind up and start their rant all over again.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Sep 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I might say that I need to take care of another matter and invite them to call back in an hour or the next day. I do want to retain good will for the company and for myself. And I genuinely want to help the caller if there is a reasonable chance I can do so. One thing I have strong feelings about is that it is not necessary for a customer service person to accept verbal abuse, including profanity.

IM4U
    Hope your employer is too!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 11:35 AM

I've had irate callers at some of my jobs and the way I deal with the abusive or profane language is to just be silent and let them rage on. Then when there is a lull in the conversation (or they are taking a breath to wind up and start the rant again) I tell them that I quite understand their frustration on the matter but I would much prefer that they treat me like a lady and not use such awful language and we'll get along much better and solve the problem that much quicker. I've never known this approach to fail me. Sometimes callers just want to "vent". Invariably at the end of such a call the caller has profusely thanked me for being such a wonderful person and putting up with them and they apologize over and over to me. This approach has worked with truck drivers, ladies who didn't get the right clothes order, clients who can't talk to the boss right now, etc. and even the boss himself who calls up ranting and raving about who knows what (that was not my mistake but someone else's mistake).
    openeyes Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 04:18 PM

An aler. Question to ask is are you satisfied with the service I provided for you today?
    Boston Crone Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 08:21 PM

"I truly hear how frustrating this is for you. I want to thank you for making the time to fully explain your dissatisfaction/disappointment to me."

It is respectful, acknowledging and does not open the door back into the tirade.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jan 19, 2009, 09:42 AM

I agree with TwinkieDooter. If you have reached the end of the issue and you cannot do anymore for the customer. Then when they reach the end of their rant you thank them for calling, say that there is nothing else you can do and disconnect.
    saladi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:29 AM

Well in a case like along with your good mood even your AHT will be hampered.. so if I get an irate cust. I would let him put his anger fr coupl of secs and mean tim search fr a sol.den I would interrupt him:: " Im sorry u feel dat way Mr.X bt im here to help,i certainly understand ur anguish,even i wud feel d same if im ur situation.im apologise fr d inconvience,dis is wat i can do..have ans/asistd/ ur questions..than1 fr callin"
    So you frame your own sentence...
    saladi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:30 AM
    Sorry my keyboard keys r stuck..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Customer service [ 3 Answers ]

How can u be a very customer service representative? What are the FAQ ON customer service?

Customer Characteristics [ 2 Answers ]

With relevant examples discuss the characteristics of customer focused organizations

Thank You Letters- Customer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in sending some thank you letters for customers who use our courier service. Can You Help By Providing A Draft? Thank You

Customer Wants refund [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Legal Question, here goes I have a small company that I run in my spare time, Computer work. But anyway, I have sold a complete system to a customer and after a week he wants his money back, a typical non written rule 3-day money back, but that is not written anywhere, in the...

Customer Survey [ 4 Answers ]

How much would you expect to pay for a PC health check?? Basically anti spyware, antivirus scans, defrag and general performace boosting stuff, done by a professional.

View more questions Search