Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diglajo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Gfci
    Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage?

I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2006, 12:06 PM
    I think it is redundant, and costly. The GFI breaker will only protect the branch circuit wiring up to the first GFI receptacle.

The GFI receptacle actually protects the user and the device plugged into the GFI receptacle.

Since we do not do this practice because of the cost, I am not really sure, nor ever heard of, any damage being caused.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci popping now? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I have a fridge and a freezer in basement plugged into an outlet that's connected to a 20 amp gfci receptacle in the garage wired to a 15 amp breaker in fuse panel. It's been this way for 15 years without problem.. Now gfci pops. I unplugged the freezer (about 5 years old) and everything works...

GFCI protection [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just wired up my basement bathroom and was wondering if what I did was against some kind of code. I wired it for one GFCI outlet next to the sink. This outlet is the bottom half of one side of a double gang box. The top half is the light switch and the whole left half is a timer for...

Kitchen GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen is wired with alternating receptacles on a 12/3 wire. Can I get these GFCI protected? I tried hooking up the 12/3 through 2 GFCI receptacles to feed the alternating circuits, but it doesn't make sense and appears that I can't do it that way (how do you get 2 GFI circuits off one...

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

Would GFCI trip? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm into salt water fish tanks and I'm trying to get a better understanding of when a GFCI would (or wouldn't) trip under different situations. Suppose I had 1 submersible pump in the tank and for some reason it cracked. (For example, if I were hammering a nail into the wall above the tank and...

View more questions Search