Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carbo Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Asphalt Driveway Resurface
    Our existing asphalt driveway is 21 years old and looks it. We were going to replace it with concrete, but with quotes coming in at around $5K to $6K, when I stopped crying I realized resurfacing the asphalt is the wise choice.
    The driveway is 25' long by 17' wide. It does have a puddling problem at the bottom, so that when it rains there is a 2 to 3 inch puddle.
    Otherwise, we are looking at a fairly straightforward resurface. But what I find perplexing is that the quotes are all over the place. So far I have been quoted between $800 and $2,000! How can there be such a discrepancy for the same job? What should I look for?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Beware, and look at the details:

"Resurfacing" can mean a lot of different things. To one guy it might mean sealcoating it (the gooey black stuff you spread with a squeegee), and to me it means a new 1.5 inch layer of new asphalt. The guy quoting $800 is certinly not doing that.

Also, the preparation is important. Look at what they are quoting as the prep work. Will they be doing any repairs? You've mentioned one area that might need repair, and that is where there's a 3" dip. If the drive is too crumbly or has a lot of cracks then if they don't prep well, you'll be very unhappy.

Hope that gives you a little to go on.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2006, 08:10 AM
    100 percent agree with Rick.

You have to ask them what they are doing in their bid, not merely resurface. You can go to walmart or home depo and buy 5 gallon of material to spread on the drive, it sort of fills in cracks and makes it nice and black but does not do much for other problems.

A real good re-surface is a actual new surface where they put another layer of black top.

I am going to do the liquid coating this summer on mine

Apr 15, 2006, 09:23 AM
    I understand the difference between a coat of asphalt sealer, and a resurface. Everyone I have spoken to, (four different individuals), have all said they will lay down 1.5 to 2 inches of new asphalt on top of the old. And that's why I am perplexed over the price discrepancies.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Then look at the prep - and the current condition of the drive. If it's all alligatored with cracks, then a resurfacing will just be a band-aid.

I'd make sure that 2 of your bids are from big companies that know what they're doing and be sure to ask: "Is the condition of my drive such that no repairs are needed prior to the resurfacing?"

Apr 16, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Rick, thank you for the assistance. I like the idea of getting two big companies out to look. I know their quotes will be on the high end, but at the same time I'll get a good idea of how they will handle the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with someone who was supposed to dump some dirt on my property. I clearly stated that my driveway would only handle the weight of a 1-ton dump truck. I come to find out that this guy used a single axle or 10-ton dump truck to haul this dirt. The weight of the truck...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface Question [ 1 Answers ]

We had our very long driveway-1000ft long-resurfaced yesterday with 2 to3 inches of hot asphalt. We're getting conflicting info on how long to safely wait before driving our cars onto it, parking on it, allowing trucks such as garbage and gardener or oil delivery etc to drive onto it. It looks...

Asphalting Driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We are looking at asphalting our driveway and have received quotes anywhere from $700 - $2000. The driveway is dirt and some gravel, and the higher quote includes excavation and 10" of gravel, plus 2.5" of asphalt. The cheaper quote is a few inches of gravel (~4") and 2.5" of asphalt, compacted to...

Driveway work [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a gravel road and have a circular gravel driveway. One side of my circle has so much weed coming through, and is considerably lower than the other side of the circle, so I plan to put more gravel on it this week. A friend mentioned that I should consider laying the weed stopper sheets...

View more questions Search