Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nycbug Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Identify Insect
    Over the past two weeks I have had tons of bugs crawling around my apartment office (in NYC). They are in three distinct colors, but appear to be exactly the same. The smallest is all white (legs body etc), there are also a few all red ones, and finally slightly larger blackish/brown ones. They are literally all over my computer, desk, and when I am working there - me! They are generally about the size of a pin-head and I really only see them because my computer and desk are black and they are very distinct. I am starting to notice some small red marks on my arms and legs and I think they may be biting - so I need to identify them as soon as possible. I have checked a number of insect ID websites and I cannot figure this out. Any ideas?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Do they look like this?

It is my understanding that NYC has a real problem with bedbugs now.

Aug 6, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nycbug
    Over the past two weeks I have had tons of bugs crawling around my apartment office (in NYC). They are in three distinct colors, but appear to be exactly the same. The smallest is all white (legs body etc), there are also a few all red ones, and finally slightly larger blackish/brown ones. They are literally all over my computer, desk, and when I am working there - me! They are generally about the size of a pin-head and I really only see them because my computer and desk are black and they are very distinct. I am starting to notice some small red marks on my arms and legs and I think they may be biting - so I need to identify them as soon as possible. I have checked a number of insect ID websites and I cannot figure this out. Any ideas?
    While I know NYC has a problem with bedbugs, these bugs are out all day and night. It is my understanding that bedbugs are nocturnal. Thse bugs crawl up my desk lamp towards to light sometimes. However, the bits look exactly like bedbug bites (small ones). The bites are the size of a pencil eraser and not raised.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
    You said you checked ID sites, I can't ID the insects from the description but here's 2 mnore sites to check (don't pay attention to the titles, both are rather comprehensive so expect to take a while going through them).

University of Kentucky Entomology: ENTfacts
    Insects, Spiders, Mice and More from UNL Extension

Aug 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Figured it out - they were mites - living in the closet. The exterminator found them - and now they're gone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this insect/bug? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi.. I got itching after I woke up in the morning. I found this bug near the place I sleep. Does anyone know what it is? I have never seen this kind of insect before.. its really small but I managed to take a pic from my cam! Thanks!

What do I do if my dog got an insect bite near the eye? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need to no ASAP, what I should do if my dog got stung by an insect near the eye? Someone please respond, I am in need of a solution.:(

Insect help! [ 7 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

View more questions Search