Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 08:06 AM
    DotCom Mortgages... Safe, Reliable??
    Hello group! I was wandering if anyone has any substantial information or views on dotcom mortgage companies such as Ditech or some companies like Lending Tree and if they are worth seeking a mortgage with decent rates? Any help greatly appreciated as always.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2006, 08:44 AM
    I tried Lending Tree when I was looking ot refinance about 3 years ago. I got contacted by ONE lender (not 4) and their offer was way high (close to 7%). I wound up refinancing through the current lender. I had 15 and 1/2 years to go on a ARM. I refinanced at 15 years (knocking 6 months off the term) at 5.25% (knocking over $50 off my monthly payment.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 14, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I do mortgages in order to pay my bills and buy food for my dog and his two cats. I have had no personal experience with the .com mortgage lenders. When I see their adds on TV, touting rates and APRs, considerably below what the market is, I can't help thinking that they might not be telling the truth. The rates that many of the TV networks quote from Bankrate.com are just plain wrong. When you go on their website to get quotes from lenders in your area, you will find variances of 1% or more. Considering that lenders all pull their money from the same pot, minor differences based on the lender's efficiency an agressivenes are to be expected. Big differences are nothing more than "Bait and Switch"; a very popular, if unethical sales tool. As the old saying goes: Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

While I am ranting I should add my disgust with the lack of any licensing/background check/education requirements for mortgage loan officers (in AZ and probably most other states). Realtors, accountants, hair dressers and taco vendors all need a license, while loan officers do not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About bi weekly mortgages [ 12 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one has had any experince with a biweekly type mortgage. We are getting ready to fill out some papers to start up that type of Mortgage. I know it would be cheaper to just pay the extra payment myself. That is what it works out to is paying an extra payment a year. But...

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

Pay-right mortgages? [ 3 Answers ]

HSBC and now another mtg lender have excitingly described this type of loan which allows a person to get deducted interest rates over periods during which the mtg loan is paid as promised. Is this a bait and switch tactic? I have a 720 FICO but am two years out of CH13 (discharged 2004,...

Is It Safe? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to lighten my skin not just to get lighter I have an excuse. One summer when I was in middle school I had to go to summer school and we were outside for a long period under the sun. That is when my life changed my face got pitch black dark I mean real dark but the rest of my body stayed it's...

View more questions Search