Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
    May be making the move to Opera.
    I have been running the latest Firefox release, 3.01 for the past few weeks and I have finally come to the conclusion that it's still not fast enough for me to use as my default browser.

I have tried doing a few tweaks, which have sped things up some, but I'm still not impressed with it's overall loading of pages and images. So now, after reading about how fast Opera is, I think I'm going to at least try it out.

One of things that concerns me though, is that I currently know nothing about add-ons or plugins or whatever you might call them for Opera. My main concern at this point is finding some kind of utility that will sync my Opera favorites with my Internet Explorer favorites automatically. In Firefox they had a neat little utility called PlainOldFavorites, and basically what it did was put a Favorites menu on the top toolbar, next to Tools and Help etc.

The neat thing about this was that I could add a favorite under it in Firefox and that favorite would then also show up in Internet Explorer Favorites. There was no need to add a favorite or a bookmark to Firefox, then open up IE and have to add the same favorite there. PlainOldFavorites did it automatically for you.

So I wanted to know, is there something similar for Opera? I also don't know much about the bookmarking system for Opera. Is there something built into that, that will do the same thing?

There were just a few other plugin items that concerned me while I have been thinking about this switch. I enjoy using StumbleUpon in Firefox, but they make no toolbar for Opera. I did however find an alternative, so I am covered there. This is what I guess I will be using:

Opera Stumbler: A StumbleUpon Toolbar For Opera

I was also hoping to find a Google toolbar for Opera, but after much searching, I found out there is nothing available for Opera yet. But apparently I understand that you can customize Opera's search for Google. Correct me if I am wrong about that.

Finally, I think I have also found some nice ad blockers for Opera. Here's some links for those:

Opera Browser Wiki :: Blocking Adverts In Opera
    Opera Browser Wiki :: Opera Adblock

So I think that covers all I need for now to get me started. Like I mentioned though, my main concern is finding a real nice favorite or bookmark syncing utility that hopefully will work as good as PLainOldFavorites does in Firefox.

I look forward to your comments.
    Nin13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Oct 18, 2008, 11:01 AM

Opera 9.60 is best desktop browser. I have been using it for last 2 years. Really fast, simple. And 9 speeddial shortcut on homepage makes it even better for quick access to your favourite sites. You can select your colour theme and feeds are more convenient than other browsers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making son & daughter in law move out [ 4 Answers ]

My 24 year old son, his wife & 1 1/2 year old baby have lived with me since Nov. of 2006, they were evicted from their apartment due to none payment of rent and had no where else to go so I (single mother who raised him) took them in. Since that period they have developed severe alcohol abuse...

Fred Thompson is making his move [ 8 Answers ]

As the events in Iowa and New Hampshire proved ;the race for the Republican nomination is far from over . Last night Fred Thompson had a fine showing in the FOX debate displaying a style that I think most Republican voters in SC will be very comfortable with. He smacked down the Huckster a...

Dance Opera? Rock Opera? Musical Poem? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am trying to find a song that was somewhat popular in the early 90s that was like an "art of noise" sound with a guy (sounds like john walsh--america's most wanted) and he basically reads a poem (not sings)about life growing living etc. I wan to listen to this with my daughter...

Making An Adult Child Move Out [ 3 Answers ]

I am a single mom with a 21 yr old son living in my home. He works part-time (20 hrs wkly) and plays video games and stays on his computer the remainder of the time. He has no interest in going back to school. He turns a deaf ear when approached about it. He is rude to me, has a bad temper, ...

Making a call what is my best move after no contact! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have not spoken to my girlfriend for three weeks and I was in no contact after bggibg her for a month and sleeping with her on one occasion so I thought I might still be in!! Anyway guess I wasn't! Went no contact an haven't spoke for 3 weeks I was thinking of calling tomorrow night and asking...

View more questions Search