Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2008, 05:53 AM
    I really don't know. They may be just feeling you out or they may take a hard line. You just have to wait and see.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Well, you have successfully stalled them so far and you will have your way up to and including the date they decide to refile their suit against you. Then what will you end up doing?
    AmyShallFind Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
    The only reason I was able to come up with the money is due to an inheritance. I would love to have this settled now and do want to pay back the money at least what I did borrow. I just don't want to add on more legal fees while trying to come to an agreement when I know I am not able to pay monthly. I'd probably be able to come up with a little more but it won't be nearly as much as they counteroffered.

Are there any ramifications if I were to contact the company directly instead of going through the lawyer since the case was dismissed? If I have to deal with the lawyer, is it a bad idea to provide some financial information so they can see for themselves that accepting the offer is the way to get their money back?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyShallFind
    The only reason I was able to come up with the money is due to an inheritance. I would love to have this settled now and do want to pay back the money at least what I did borrow. I just don't want to add on more legal fees while trying to come to an agreement when I know I am not able to pay monthly. I'd probably be able to come up with a little more but it won't be nearly as much as they counteroffered.

Are there any ramifications if I were to contact the company directly instead of going through the lawyer since the case was dismissed? If I have to deal with the lawyer, is it a bad idea to provide some financial information so they can see for themselves that accepting the offer is the way to get their money back?

Here's my problem from the other side of this - the company is represented by Attorney and should not be talking to you. Rule #1 - don't talk to the other side once you retain counsel.

They are not going to see a review of your financials as the ONLY way to get their money back - and "only" may very well be the operative word here.

The company has to pay an Attorney. They think it's your fault. They want you to pay them so they can hand the money to the Attorney.

That's how they're thinking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ok here we go with summary judgment [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short Bought a car with wife (now ex) in Jan 2001. Divorced in October 2002. Ex was awarded car and debt in decree. She defaulted. Here we are in 2008 and there is a balance of 10k as they auctioned the car for 1350.00. I have no idea what she did but it obviously wasn't...

Summary Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

A law firm recently was awarded a summary judgment against me on a Old credit card account. I asked them if they had my original contract with my signature And they sent me a letter stating that it was destroyed by the original creditor. Do I have any rights as to appeal this matter or am I at...

Motion for Summary Judgment due to credit debt [ 0 Answers ]

In 2005 I ran into severe financial trouble, causing majority of my debts to go to collections. Unfortunately, many are still there. Spring of 2007 I received a summons for a court appearance because of a judgment that had been filed to my county court on behalf of the credit card company for the...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search