Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ripper1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Heat pump not cooling well
    We have a heat-pump and had to have a new capacitor installed about 2 months ago, because the outside fan would not run. It's been working great ever since until yesterday. I noticed the tempature has elevated and the air flow seems good. I replace filter monthly, and put a new one in again. The compressor is working same as the outside fan seems OK too. I don't see any ice on the lines, in fact they don't feel icy either. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 09:21 PM
    How long has it been since it had a good cleaning ? The condenser and the evaporater coils

Aug 6, 2008, 01:17 AM
    The system is 4-5 yrs old. Replaced the outside unit 5 yrs ago, and the air exchanger 4 yrs ago. I clean the outside box with a hose about twice a year. Other than that and replacing the filter each month, is all I know to do. Could it be low on freon? Or would that cause it to freeze? The air flow seems as strong as it always has been, but it's not cooling near what it should or has been. Thank you very much for any info you can give. :) Where is the condenser at? How can I clean it and same with coils? My knowledge is lacking.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Sounds like maybe you have done all you can do, time to call out the experts,to check it out,, I`m sure if it need s freon you will have to call them anyway,, have you ever had to have freon put in before this?,

Aug 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
    About two months ago the outside fan stopped running, and a service man came out and replaced the capacitor. I asked him to also check the freon, which he did and added a small amount. That was the only problem in 4 years we have encountered. Would low freon cause it to loose the cooling effect slow like that? I always thought it would freeze up first? Thank you for taking your time and helping me. Could it be the capacitor again? Or would something else be happening also?
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Losing freon would cause both cooling effect and cause it to freeze up wharn it gets to a certain point,then when its lower on freon it will just not work and not freeze up,, if it was a capiciter the fan or the compressor wouldn`t work, or both,, if its does turn out to be low on freon,, you should get them to find the leak and fix it,, freon doesn`t wear out, its going somewhere

Aug 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I had a ac serviceman come out today and checked the freon level and told me it was perfect. He also looked at my coil and said it was spotless clean. He told me that he could see that I change the filters every month. He said the system was functioning normal and if the house tempature doesn't cool down tonight, then to call him again,lol. My living room has been 61 F - 66 F for the last six weeks, until now it is at 73 F and not lowering. I remember when our last air handler w/indoor coil etc... had to be replaced because of the coil was blocked or something ? What else could cause this? Thanks again for taking time.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
    What is your day time outside temperature?, if its real hot outside there are days you are lucky if a unit can keep the indoor temp 20 degrees cooler than the outside

Aug 6, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Yes it is very hot outside, around 93-95 and 75-78 lows. However, we have had days reach 100 F+ , and our home was much cooler than now. Could humidity levels be the reason for that?If I hold a thermometer next to my air vent, what should I see if its ninety outside? And 70 inside? And could higher humidity make us feel the system is failing, after keeping indoor temps cooler under more elevated outside temps? Thank you again for taking your time to help me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump not cooling or heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is...

Ductless A/C with Heat Pump - Heat pump does not come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The A/C works great but in the morning when its cool outside and I switch on the Heat the indoor unit makes a clicking sound and the fan stays off - after about 8 minutes I switch to A/C I get a rush of ice cold air along with some mist. Seems like when I switch to heat the indoor unit...

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Carrier heat pump not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier heat pump is not cooling our house. This is the first time it has been on for cooling this year. The system is running outside and the system inside is running and cool to the touch, but nothing is coming out the vents. It sounds like the fan is running. The thermostat is set for 72...

View more questions Search