Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Paying Cash for a House..
    Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should I just buy the house outright and save all of the hassle? Any Advice Appreciated!:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2006, 06:27 PM
    I would say if you can pay 1/2 down you should have people begging you to borrow money from them. I would search around with other lenders.

But also I don't know where you live but here 200,000 would be the best house in the country club. Here for example 100,000 would buy you a 3 bedroom brick home on an acre house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2006, 06:53 PM
    I would agree to shopping around. If, however, you can't find a good rate, I would consider paying cash and then getting a Home Equity loan. As long as the you have more equity in the home than debt, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a decent mortgage.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mz2richard
    Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should I just buy the house outright and save all of the hassle? Any Advice Appreciated!:confused:
    mz2richard,

Shop around for a loan.

This one corporation had to go to 9 different banks until they got a loan that did not have to be guaranteed personally by the owner.

The loans are out there, you just have to do the shopping for them.

And if you don't want to do the shopping, then perhaps as Scott has suggested, you should look into a Home Equity loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    But also I don't know where you live but here 200,000 would be the best house in the country club. Here for example 100,000 would buy you a 3 bedroom brick home on an acre house.
    Wow.

Where I live, the average house price is $450,000 CDN (approximately 390,000 USD). For us, that is an increase of about 250% since we moved in. Don't you just love the housing boom?

Honestly, I think most properties are over valued…but that is a whole other story.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 13, 2006, 08:50 PM
    That's what I just did with my house,, paid it in full so I'd have no mortgage... why should you pay 50-100% more for your home when you can own it outright... that $200,000 house will end up costing you $400,000 or more because of your credit when your mortgage is paid up... pay the house off now while you can and have the peace of mind knowing you will always have a home as long as you pay your taxes... I will never regret having my paychecks now to spend on other things instead of worrying about a mortgage... which by the way on your credit would have been high payments

Apr 14, 2006, 06:11 AM
    While I agree with Tommy to a large extent there is another factor to be considered here. Since Mortgage Interest is tax deductable you have to weigh what you can earn on the money against the cost of the money. For example, if you could get 7-10% return by investing the money, against a similar cost, with the tax deductibility you actually come out ahead.

Apr 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Thank you for all of your replies. I was truly thinking of paying off in full, then obtaining a home equity loan, if wanted/needed, at a much lower rate. Does anyone know if Home Equity Loans are tax deductible? The problem is our credit is shot because of medical problems over the past few years which have now been taken care of and back on track, but the lending companies don't care about that issue. I just don't see how I can "win" with paying half down and still getting nailed with 8+ % and not to mention $5k plus on the loan origination fees.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 14, 2006, 08:13 AM
    If your credit is bad enough to warrant a 9% rate with a 50% LTV, the rate on a home equity loan will be no better. I would advise you to pay cash for the house. Then spend some time to repair your credit. Have any errors corrected, and reestablish some good credit, even if it means getting a secured credit card with high fees and rate. Pay the balance off monthly and the rate won't matter. The mere passage of time since the derogatory credit will improve your scores. At some future time when your scores have improved sufficiently, you should be able to get a Home Equity Line Of Credit from one of the commercial banks (Chase, B of A, etal). On their variable rate products they may offer prime rate (now at 7.75%) + 1%, + .5%, + 0%, -.5%, depending on the LTV and other factors. Their fixed rate products are generally higher. The great thing about banks, as opposed to mortgage companies, is that they will usually will have $ 0 closing costs.

The interest on a HELOC should be tax deductible provided that you don't borrow more than the value of the property.
    VegasRealEstate Posts: 12, Reputation: 6

Apr 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
    I would not encourage taking $200,000 and buying a home. That $200,000 is now doing nothing for you. Do you have any family members willing to co-sign with you for the home. I personally would use that $200,000 and buy a couple of homes. I know you are having problems buying a home for yourself (possibly your family), but you also have to look long term. What is the best use of that $200,000, meaning, do I spend the entire amount and buy one home or do I buy maybe 2 or 3 homes.

After 5 years, that $200,000 cash you have could be doubled in real estate equity.

This is just my opinion.

Apr 23, 2006, 05:34 AM
    I have to question what Vegas is saying here. While I agree with him about looking at the best use of the $200K, I'm not sure his recommendation is the best use. I also disagree with finding a co-signer. I think that is too much to ask even a family member.

I find it paradoxical that he says the $200K would be doing nothing, then suggests investing it in real estate. Well what is a home but real estate? If buying 2 or 3 houses will appreciate in value, won't buying one house appreciate also? Even in some areas, $200K is not going to get 2-3 houses outright. This means having to get at least partial financing which is the problem that prompted the question in the first place. There is also the issue of managing the properties. They would have to be rented during the 5 years he suggests and that has its own problems and responsibilities.

While the advice might make sense in some situations, I don't think it applies here.

Apr 23, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Hi all and thank you fro the responses. I have decided that since our credit report is "currently" poor, and it is only due to situations beyond our control and we are normally well-budgeted people, that we are going to pay cash for the house. I do see my house also as an investment for I believe, especially in my area, that it will appreciate quite well over the next 10-20 years, which is how long we plan on living there. Thank you all for the advice and I hope to return the favor in the groups!

Apr 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Good luck!
    homeadvisor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Buy the house with cash. People dream of the day when they will have no mortgage. You will have a good sleep every night with a piece of mind never to worry about paying off a large debt whether employed or unemployed. All you have to make sure that you pay the property taxes, but if you show financial hardship, you may apply for tax abatement or deferral without penalty. The home value will increase if you live there long. The most important thing is, that $200K you spent on your home is a transferable asset which you can pass on to your children. Buying a home with cash helps your family if you suddenly die. Because they will always have a home - for generations. Do not make the mistake of lending if you can pay for home 100%. Recall, that you can almost always take home equity loans rather quickly when you immediate need of fund. You can also create a home equity line of credit against your home so that you will always have the emergency fund ready for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

X renigging on paying [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father ( my X) committed to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings,now he is renigging on paying all the expenses for what he promised her. HE HAS THE MONEY! He says he is going to send a certain amount of money( not nearly enough) to her sister and expects her to pay the...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

Cash down on a house [ 2 Answers ]

Can you put $50,000 cash down on a house and simply say that the money "was a gift"? Will you need proof of this? If so, what kind of proof?

View more questions Search