Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsawaya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Faucet behind my washer leaks
    The hot water faucet leaks when I use my washer.
    I have turned the faucet off, but it still leaks.
    Only when the washer is in use. It is leaking from
    The neck not the spout. If that makes sense. What
    Should I do?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
    When you say "the neck" are you speaking of the stem that the handle is attached to?

If so, that's a simple diy project. You need "stem packing". Here's an explanation with illustration.:
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...696574,00.html
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsawaya
    The hot water faucet leaks when I use my washer.
    I have turned the faucet off, but it still leaks.
    Only when the washer is in use. It is leaking from
    the neck not the spout. If that makes sence. What
    should I do?
    Rick gave you very good advice along with a picture of a faucet, (see image) He correctly identified your problem as a water leak at the bonnet packing nut. Try this, open the faucet up a bit and when the water begins to leak past the stem snug the bonnet packing nut up until the leak stops.
    If that don't get it then you may need to replace the bonnet packing itself.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside faucet leaks [ 1 Answers ]

My outside faucets have a plastic cap between the house and on/off handle that says anti-siphon, which are now gushing water when I turn on the faucet. When I turn this cap it spins in either direction and doesn't seem to do anything. 2 out of 3 faucets are doing this, one seems to be fine. How...

Washer leaks at drain [ 3 Answers ]

The drain pipe in the bottom rear of my washer leaked when I moved to clean floor behind it. When I removed clamp, about a quart of water flowed out which I guess means it did not drain completely. What should I do?

Leaky washer faucet [ 1 Answers ]

After thinking it was my hose leaking I came to realize the leak is coming from the knob of the faucet stem where it goes into the fauce. All advice is needed and appreciated! Little j

Washer hot water line leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new to me house and I am having a problem with the hot water line to the washer! The hose screws on just fine to the faucet but when the water is turned on there is a small leak. I thought maybe the hose was not any good, bought another one, and still the same problem exists....

Washer leaks when shower is on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - got a new washing machine and it is hooked into the same hot & cold lines that supply my shower in the next room. When I turn on the bath or shower my washer trickles water, but stops when I shut off the shower. It does not appear to happen when any other faucets are on. Sears says there...

View more questions Search