Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ann421 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Where to invest and how to get interest to pay for loans
    I am a 21 year old college student that hopes to attend Medical School. I also am about to get a settlement from an accident I was in. I want to know is there a way that I can invest my money and get the interest to pay for my medical school loans? Where should I invest and how much minimum is accepted?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Well. The avg med student comes out with about $120k in loans. No interest will be that much unless you have something close to a $4 mil settlement.

You could invest in stocks... mutual funds... CDs...

If you have some knowledge about the market, the stock market isn't a bad way to go. However, if not, then a long term CD may be in your best interest. Banks vary on their minimums... and rates vary as well. I know that bank of america is currently offering their CDs at 3.3% yield.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
    How much will the settlement be? Conservatively you can expect to get a 4-8% return on your money per year. Since you will be a student with little or no other income, you don't have much to worry about for taxes.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Scottgem:

Where can I get 4 - 8% return?
    ann421 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 09:00 AM
    ScottGem: I will be getting about $150,000. I want to give my father $106, 000 to pay off the mortgage and the rest I would like to invest. I just do not know where? Or, should I just use it all for my medical school and not have to worry about loan interest?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    where can I get 4 - 8% return?
    Municipal bonds, Some CDs, REITs maybe. Got to shop around.
    wingrun Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Aug 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I'm going to offer a bit different strategy from previous mentioned but the reason why it wasn't mentioned by others is due to the risk. My suggestion would be picking a stock with a high dividend yield. Assuming your school attendance would be 3 years or so, you can probably earn an average 5% return by dividends yearly and another 10% or more by the time you sell your position. The only problem in this case is risk and future forecast but that could be planned by someone with the right experience.

If your loan has no interest payment until graduation date, then you should invest your savings to help pay for the tuition costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a financial manager choose between stated interest and an effective interest [ 2 Answers ]

When a borrower is often confronted as a stated interest and an effective interest rate what is the difference and which one should the financial manager recognize as the true cost of borrowing? The effective interest rate is always calculated as if compounded annually. The effective rate is...

Write of Interest on Loans [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I carry two loans on my house (one primary loan as mortgage) and second one that I recently got is the Home Equity Loan (to invest in business startup). I know that I was able to write off the interest off my primary loan, but I want to know can I also write off the interest that pay on my...

Interest from student loans [ 5 Answers ]

Can a qualified student loan interest paid be deducted even if taxpayer does not itemize deductions?:)

Pay it Down -- if the interest on the debt is LOWER than the interest on Savings [ 3 Answers ]

I have student loans in the amount of $20000. Through consolidation and never missing a payment I have the interest loan at 2.50% (simple interest). Montly payment is approx $100. I am getting an APY no a Savings account at 4.75%. I have savings around $5K and growing. I need cash for other...

To invest [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for advice on how to invest in the stock market. I would be investing more like a day trader, buy stocks for a short term and sell them after they make a profit. Any recommendations on what on-line service is better, cost efficient, able to buy/sell stocks rapidly.. Thanks

View more questions Search