Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nic007tennis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Can a child be baptized into 2 religions?
    I am English and my husband is Greek and we live in Ireland. My son age 7 was born in Belgium and has a British passport. My husband is going to baptize him in Athens, Greece over Easter so he will be Greek Orthodox, but I want to baptize him in England so he is church of England like myself. Is this possible? Do I need to declare in England that he has already been baptized in Greece or can I just baptize him a second time with my daughter aged 5 who has never been baptized. My husband & I were married in England and lived in Belgium and now Ireland. He has British citizen ship as well as being Greek.
    Many thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Both churches recognise the baptism of the other, there is no need.

Baptism does not make them member ( really) in one or the other, it will be in how they are raised. I would say that if the Anglican Priest knows he is already baptised he would not do it again as there is no need.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 29, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Baptism is a symbol of one's having voluntarily died to one's former way of life and being reborn into a dedicated way of life in doing God's will. All biblical baptisms involved conscious repentance and willful acceptance of the ransom sacrifice. In short, it is an expression of faith performed by a believer. Since a newborn can't choose one way or the other, baptism for such is really unscriptural. That applies also to a child who might not be able to fully understand what the baptism means. Belief is essential for the baptism to have true scripural meaning in relation to the one being baptized.

Mark 16:16
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Baptism is the first act of obedience of a believer, after they are saved. It is more than a mere ritual. It is a picture of a person vicariously participating in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, where their old life has passed away and all things have become new. If a person is not "saved," and gets baptized, it is a false testimony to the world that the person has trusted in Jesus Christ alone for their eternal life. Baptism is the outward expression of an inward impression. Explain the Gospel message to your children and, immediately after they have accepted Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord, get them baptized. Philip and the Ethiopian in Acts 8:34-38 is a perfect example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Getting holiday gifts for persons of other religions [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I know I have made fun of them but I have An aunt, uncle, and three cousins who are Jehovas witnesses. I know they don't celebrate santa and all that stuff. Isn't there some way I can get something for them that won't offend or start a war?

Gender equality in the mainstream religions [ 19 Answers ]

One of significant shortfalls of the "Great book religions" (IMHO) is their insistence on the inequality of the sexes. Even for those few varieties of western Protestantism that allow women to be priests and bishops, inequality is still fixed into the foundations of the theology. The myths of...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

View more questions Search