Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nila2007 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Posterior cervix and past my due date
    Hi,

Im now 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant and in yesterday's check-up my doctor told me that my cervix is still posterior and she would like to examine me again tomorrow and might induce me depending on the findings then. Otherwise both my baby and I are doing perfectly fine. Im really tired of the long wait and very much looking forward to holding my baby in my arms... I would love to know if there is any natural way to bring this posterior cervix into an anterior position. I have been doing yoga and walking all through my pregnancy. However I have stopped doing them for the past 2 days because Im feeling so disspointed... Is there still a chance that it can happen naturally without an induction? Please help... Thanks beforehand..
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Yes, it can happen naturally and usually does. The cervix shifting position is just one of the ways your body prepares for labor... it could happen tomorrow, it could happen next week... there is no way to know. Did your doctor mention if your cervix had started any other changes yet?
    If you and baby are doing fine, there is no medical reason to induce at this time. Since you aren't overdue, and if everything looks fine right now, there is no rush.
    Some feel doing pelvic rocks may help, it won't hurt anyway. Either on your hands and knees, or standing, rock your lower pelvis back and forth like you are trying to flatten the small of your back and tilt your pelvis forward. Works best for helping with lower back pain and possibly helping a posterior baby rotate, but if it helps your cervix that would be a bonus! The yoga and walking would both be good to continue as well.
    xHannahxLouisex Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
    I had a posterior cervix until I was 41 weeks & 2 days pregnant. I didn't do any yoga or anything like that I just walked everywhere & was told to crawl around on my hands & knees for 10 minutes twice a day. It eventually worked.
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Aug 5, 2008, 03:40 PM
    I had a posterior cervix and finally they induced me ( which I don't recoment its really painful), the thing is it will happen I know it seems like forever but let it happen naturally. I walked for 3 hours on and of and then finally she got in the right position she was born 36 hours later. Good luck.
    cowdrey5367 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 04:49 AM
    SHEKNOWS PREGNANCY & BABY

TIPS FOR ALTERING BABY'S POSITION

http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/baby/Tips-for-altering-your-babys-position-610.htm

The best position for your baby is head down, with the back of the baby's head toward your front and on your left side (left occiput anterior, or LOA). When your baby is in this position, you will feel the smooth back on the left side of your abdomen, and the baby's kicks on your right side. If, instead, you feel kicks on your left side or in the front, using fetal positioning techniques would be wise.
    Positions to avoid
    The woman in late pregnancy should avoid all reclining positions, which encourage the baby to flop onto its back. Instead, she can relax in forward leaning positions. She can do 100 pelvic rocks on hands and knees, several times per day (100 pelvic rocks takes about 1-1/2 minutes). Pelvic rocks are a quick rocking motion of the pelvis, without much arching or movement of the back. A woman can assume a knee-chest position (knees, head and chest on the bed, with buttocks up in the air) for 20 minutes, three times per day.
    The best position for sleeping is left-sided Sims, the position recommended by Bradley childbirth classes (on the left side, but rolled over almost onto the stomach, left arm behind the back, right leg bent and propped on a pillow, left leg straight).
    First, spend about 45 minutes in either the knee-chest position or left-sided Sims. After this, continue to labor in forward-leaning positions, either on hands and knees, knee-chest, knees and elbows, sitting while leaning forward or standing and leaning forward onto a chair or table. Forward leaning positions encourage the baby's back to swing around toward your belly. Avoid reclining in a semi-sitting position, which encourages the baby to assume or remain in a posterior position.
    Perform pelvic rocks on hands and knees frequently. Stomping hard on the floor, or stomping up and down a flight of stairs, can sometimes quickly jar the baby's head into a good position. If you have chosen to hire a doula, she may know many more advanced techniques for helping the baby into a good position, but these simple techniques work very well in most cases.
    Other interventions
    If possible, try to avoid artificial rupture of membranes (AROM) until you are sure that your baby has rotated to anterior, since AROM can cause the baby's head to quickly descend into your pelvis, while still malpositioned. An epidural is another intervention that can prevent a posterior baby from rotating, since epidurals decrease the muscle tone of the pelvic floor and limit the woman's mobility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Due Date is a thing of the past! [ 14 Answers ]

Well guys, rankrank is still with child!! Yep, as of today, I am 40 weeks and 2 days! I'm barely 1 cm dialated and 70 % effaced. I really, really, really don't want to be induced. The doctors are giving me till Monday and then they are going to begin talking about induction. One concern I have...

Really depressed and past due date [ 20 Answers ]

I am 40 weeks pregnant and I am past my due date . Now the doctor told me he won't induce for another 8 days and I am in such pain and agony. I have cried for a hours, I am so stressed about everything I am going snap. Plus the doctor is leaving for a week so there is no chance of him delivering...

False negative on day 10 past expected period date ? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm 31yrs and my husband and I are trying to have a baby. I am 10days overdue on my period and have taken 3 home pregnancy tests but all have turned up negative. However, on 2 of them after a few hours, they've showed a faint line where the positive...

Posterior uterus? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am new to the site. I am pregnant with my second child and am 15 weeks along. I didn't have any problems with my first child, but at my first OBGYN appt, I was informed that I have a "posterior uterus." He asked me if I had problems with this before, but I have never even heard of it. He did...

Tilted cervix [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a dr trying to pull on a tilted cervix to straighten it out. I have a friend who is pregnant and is due November 11 she is 3cm dialated but the dr is waiting because her cervix is tilted. She said he tried to straighten it out by pulling on it. I have never heard of...

View more questions Search