Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Is Keith Olbermann Jewish?
    I was wondering if Keith is Jewish. He has a fabulous intelligence and sense of humor. :)
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Aug 5, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Olbermann seems to be "Unitarian Universalist". He seems to indicate so on 'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Tuesday, June 24, although he may have been being a little light-hearted in his answer. Read the transcript here: 'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Tuesday, June 24 - Countdown with Keith Olbermann - MSNBC.com
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 5, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Olbermann is reputed to be of Jewish ancestry, although I have not seen documented confirmation. My guess is that he is of partial German/Jewish ancestry. As ZachZ mentioned, Olbermann has indicated not to be at least practicing Judaism, as a Jew, but rather a "Unitarian Universalist." I've heard him say once on the radio that he was not Jewish, but I'm not sure what that entailed according to his own thoughts, since being Jewish has more than a religious Faith aspect. Like Zach suggested it could be tongue-in-cheek. I also like Keith for his wit and humor.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Thanks for the link, Zack, and for both your comments.

His show was specially good tonight.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Originally from New York City, Olbermann grew up in Westchester County, attending school at Hastings-on-Hudson. Keith Olbermann is of German ancestry. [1] He was raised in the Unitarian faith. [2] Olbermann lives with Katy Tur, a reporter with WPIX-TV, in New York City.[3]

On 28 July 2006, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) sent an open letter to Olbermann at MSNBC stating, "We are deeply dismayed by your ongoing use of the Nazi 'Sieg Heil' salute, both on your program and in public appearances…" The letter explains that Olbermann's use of the salute prompted many complaints from its members, including Holocaust survivors, and that any use of it "serves to trivialize the Holocaust and the six million Jews and others who died as a result of Hitler's Final Solution." The letter closed by asking Olbermann to "reconsider [his] use of the Nazi salute in the future."[35]

Olbermann had written a year earlier in his weblog that Nazi references have "no place...in this culture" and "the analogies are wrong, offensive, and deeply hurtful" when used in partisan politics.[36]

Keith Olbermann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Thanks, y, very good!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 22, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I was wondering if Keith is Jewish. He has a fabulous intelligence and sense of humor.
    The best reply to that is of course :

I don't know, but does it matter?

His acclaimed " use of the Nazi 'Sieg Heil' salute, both on his program and in public appearances " seems to be indicating the opposite !

:)
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 23, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Choux, good picture. I like your new avatar. Olbermann did the mocking nazi gesture aimed at the conservative right wing-nut politicos like Bill O'Reilly, not Jews. Although the gag offended some people because it relates to a horrible time in our history, in all fairness Jerry Seinfeld wrote a script in his TV comedy series that was similar in nature.
    nick1729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 06:20 PM

Does one has to jewish to be smart and funny? I mean like Al Franken?
    On the other hand, I don't see anything anti-jewish in O'Reilly! He and Sean Insannity Hannity are the biggest christian zionists on TV these days.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 01:20 PM

Irish have the best sense of humor. :D
    manicdrummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Keith Olbermann is not Jewish! He is Unitarian!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Keith Haring [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased a white vase with 2 men holding up a heart, signed on bottom by Keith Haring. Anyone know what it's worth?

Was Hitler Jewish? [ 7 Answers ]

Some people in my class said he was, and the teacher believed them, but Im not sure if HE was. I hear his grandfather was jewish though?? I am not sure. Was Hitler Jewish?

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search