Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Apr 12, 2006, 08:38 PM
    How to attach a picture...
    I am trying to attach a picture for my answer on the lawn and garden forum, but it says that my picture is 1.83MB and it can only fit a 293Kb or something. How can I make my picture smaller? Please help.. :(
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Try these things to start with:

1. Ensure your picture is saved as a compressed picture type. In other words - save it as a JPEG (best for photos) not a bitmap. To do this, open the picture in MS Paint. Click File >> Save As. Change the "Save as type" to JPEG, then save the picture.
    2. Try resizing the picture. The smaller the picture, the smaller the file size. There are plenty of image resizers on the internet but try this one from Microsoft (you'll need Windows XP). Just install that and then from the file browser/windows explorer you can right click on your picture file and choose "Resize picture".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2006, 05:55 AM
    There are a four main factors that affect the size of an image file.

1) Format. Some formats are compressed as LT pointed out. JPG and GIF are popular formats for transmitting across the Net because they are compressed. JPG is the best for photos, Gif is better for artwork.

2) Image size. Images have a height and width. The larger these are the bigger the file. For electronic use, 2"x3" is sufficient.

3) Resolution. The number of dots per inch (dpi) also impacts size. For electronic use between 75 and 150 dpi is sufficient.

4) Color depth. Photos tend to have a color depth in the millions of colors. Reducing that (though no lower than 256 colors) will help reduce file size.

How to set these factors depends on the image software you are using. If you choose File>Save As, there is often an Options button where you can set these. Otherwise, check the Help for the software you are using on Resizing.
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Apr 13, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Thanks you for your help, I am going to try if I can do it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Picture Problems [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Phillips TV (afraid I don't know the model off the top of my head) and sometimes when Im watching it there seems to be a patch on the left hand side that is yellowy green in colour the picture is still clear but whatever moves in this patch is yellowy green does anyone know why this...

Who is the person on the picture? [ 24 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me who the person on the picture is? The person is suppose to be well known. http://www.da-shizzaoh.com/hvemerdette.jpg

Picture blurred [ 1 Answers ]

First happy easter day.my question is , what IS the difference between the NIKON N 75 and NIKON F 75.

Extracting a picture [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, this is what I need, I found a picture in the internet that I like, but instead of saving it, I just right clicked in it and saved it as a desktop background. Now I would like to save it in my pictures folders. But where in my PC the picture is? I almost forgot, the site from where I took...

View more questions Search