Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

Aug 4, 2008, 03:52 PM
    WINDOWS XP won't start!
    I've had a gateway laptop for about a year now. I hardly started using it until recently. It has no internet so I don't know if the problem is a virus or not. When I start the computer a black screen comes up and it has these options:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I've click on every option available and when I do the Windows XP screen with the four color flag pops up and the marquee bar on the bottom just keeps moving but it never takes me to the user log in screen. (I left it like like for about 2 hours and saw no change.) I also tried to do a system recovery but all I saw for about 3 hours was a screen that said

'GATEWAY'
    Please wait...

Somebody please help me!

:(
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 07:45 PM
    How did you try the system recovery?

Did your laptop come with recovery disks or is there a recovery partition that you can restore form?

Safe mode just brings black screen?

Does safe mode command prompt work for you?

If ;you can get to prompt, try this

you can start the System Restore tool from the command prompt. This is useful if you cannot start your computer normally or in Safe Mode. To start the utility using this method, restart your computer and press F8 during startup. From the boot options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt. You can then log on to your computer using an account with administrative privileges.

The last step is to launch the System Restore tool. You can do this by typing the following command at the command prompt.

%systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

You can then follow the instructions to restore your computer to a previous state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Windows won't start up [ 1 Answers ]

The 80gb hard drive became full and I bought an external hard drive and connected it yesterday. Today I started up the PC and windows won't start up. The PC just says windows is starting up. Can someone help me?:confused:

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

Windows won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I've had problems for a while with Windows XP Home making several attempts before it completely started up, re-starting itself at different stages in the booting sequence an sometimes getting the desktop, icons etc complete, but nothing working when you click it, not even Start-Restart. Only way...

View more questions Search