Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidlandon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Replace 2-year evap. Coil because of sulphur?
    System is two years old. Wouldn't cool so I set up a service appointment, thinking it was low on freon. 2 hours and $160 later, repair guy says I have a bad evap coil, caused from sulphur in my well water that emits fumes and deteriorated my coil. Talked to a couple of hvac people and they say they have never heard of sulphur corroding the evap coil. The Lennox system is under warranty, but, according to the repair guy, it will still cost $800 for replacement of evap coil and $500 for coating the evap coil so sulphur won't corrode it again. He then tried to sell me a variable speed blower system for $4000 installed. Anyone heard of this problem? Is he trying to screw me? What would you pros do? Thanks very much.
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Aug 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
    If this unit is under warranty there are no costs to the customer. If he is a Lenox dealer, maybe, just maybe, Lenox will be rid of him after hearing all you have said.

I've been doing rural service work for nearly 30 years and have yet to run across a situation as you've described, and many farms were sulpher wells.

Tell your BBB about this clown and get ahold of a honest service company
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Did the guys explain to you how the sulpher is getting to your Evap coil.
    davidlandon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
    My father-in-law is friends with the owner of another HVAC company. He is going to replace the coil for $300 (labor and freon). He did say, however, that he has seen coils be damaged by sulphur. After my ac is fixed, I am going to file a complaint with consumer affairs or BBB. Should lennox pay for the labor and freon also? Thanks for the response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evap coil only half cold [ 3 Answers ]

My evaporator coil will only get ice cold on the lower portion and the upper half is warm . What would cause this problem, possible restriction?

New Evap Coil for Carrier - refrigerant and price [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12-year-old Carrier Heat pump. The AC repairman, who was in fixing the control board which had been knocked out by a lightning strike, mentioned that the coil had a lot of rust on it and would soon start developing small leaks. He also mentioned that the refrigerant it used would be phased...

Trane XL 1800 Cond Coil Warr Replace - Am I Being Charged Too Much? [ 1 Answers ]

The condenser coil in my Trane XL 1800 unit was found to be leaking freon. In fact, after being charged, it only lasted one day before the unit was not cooling again. The leak was found on the coil. I was told that the coil itself was covered under my warranty. BUT that I would have to pay for...

Replace coil? [ 5 Answers ]

My AC unit is 2 years old. I turned it on for the first time this season and it kept cycling on and off every 30-45 seconds. Never putting out cool air. The repair service replaced the refrigerant, 5 lbs, and it works just fine. The technician states I have a noticeable leak in the attic and need...

My dad said my coil from civic 93 is weak because seen yellow spark, replace? [ 2 Answers ]

My dad said my coil from disturbator is very weak, it sparking yellow when I start cranking we did test it all seems so normal but about 20,000 ohm testing the coil positive and negative is kind of out of range from 12,000 to 20,000 ohms, should I replace it? Or is there any way I can repair it? We...

View more questions Search