Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzzy62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
    401k funds
    I need to cash out my 401k for to pay for emergency expeneces. What will this cost me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Too much!

Your 401K is the very, very last thing you touch. First, not all plans permit inservice withdrawals. If your plan does permit it, there will be a penalty of 10%. In addition, any funds you withdraw will be added to your taxable income for the year. This means anywhere from 20-40% will be lost to taxation. Plus there is the loss of investment income on the funds.

Check if you plan has a loan provision. This is usually a much better alternative.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Check with your plan administrator.
    Many 401(k) plans allow employees to make a hardship withdrawal because of immediate and heavy financial needs. Generally, hardship distributions from a 401(k) plan are limited to the amount of the employee's elective deferrals only, and do not include any income earned on the deferred amounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Billing in USD Funds [ 3 Answers ]

As a canadian company can I invoice another canadian company in USD Funds?

Art funds! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a visual artist that is trying to figure out what is the best way to get funding for art projects. I do art workshops with youth ages 4-17, and I don't charge the kids because a lot of them come from low income homes. I work for the City I live in, in the Parks & Recreation Dept. with kids. By...

Using 401k funds to start a business [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I'd appreciate some help here. I'm leaving my present F/T job to start my own machine shop and I'd like to know if there is a consideration in the laws regarding 401k for doing this? Thanks! - Skip

With draw 401K funds [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how do I request money from my 401k funds. I am behind on mortgage payments and I would like to pay off credit card debit.:( How do I write my request letter? Thank You.

Moving 401k funds to rollover IRA while still employed at the same company [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was told that you can withdraw your retirement funds and then get them back in within 60 days and not have to pay any penalties. If this is correct, does this mean that I can withdraw my 401k funds and move them into a rollover IRA within 60 days without any penalties? Thanks in advance...

View more questions Search