Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flyfishmaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Light on Craftsman Garage Door Open will not turn OFF, when Open.
    I purchase a new Craftsmang ½ hp Garage Door Open and found out in the Problem Section that if I have the door open and cross the safety sensor beams the light will turn ON automaticlly. I hate this feature because my kids constatnly run in and out of the garage door when it is open, so the light will never shut off.

Is there any way of de-activating this feature with out removing the light bulb.

Thanks in advance.

Kim
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2008, 10:01 PM
    What about finding the hot wire going to the light socket and installing a switch of some sort? When the kids are playing you could flip it off and when you want it to operate normally, simply flip the switch back on. Might get some wire and put it in a convenient place. I don't know... just an idea.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Read Owners manual. There is a way of turning this feature off. There is a down side to it however but I don't remember what it is. If I can find my manual I tell you how. Just installed new opener. Can't find that manual, can find manual to old opener but can't find new one.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Take the bulb out!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Since the light is likely self contained, you could have the operator receptacle switched.
    Turning off switch will keep bulb off and door from accidentally closing on kids. Just have to remember to turn back on.
    If handy with Electrical, add a pullchain switch to operator.
    ktkodama Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Read the owners manual, you will find the answer to your issue there. You can change the time the light will stay on when ever the garage door moves or the ISB's are crossed.

Kevin Kodama
    [email protected]
    Plano Frisco McKinney Garage Door repair and service
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
    flyfishmaster, get another reflector and put it right in front of the 'beam', then move it

Before you close the door.
    tedtb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
    Had lighting strike garage door works but light will not turn off lift master opener
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Sounds like the relay on the control board in the opener has been damaged by the lightning strike, and needs to be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote doesn't open garage door. [ 11 Answers ]

Remote doesn't open garage door. If I press the button within the garage, it will open or close the door. The battery in the remote is new. The built in car opener doesn't work either. At one point, door would open with the remote for several days and then it wouldn't. This happened on two...

Garage Door open indicator [ 4 Answers ]

We have just moved into a new house with an attached garage. It’s been nice weather so we have been leaving the door open. However we have forgotten to close it when we go to bed at night. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood. We should just check to see if its closed each night but I thought...

Garage door wiil close but not open [ 2 Answers ]

Our garage door challenger photo sense model p1534 will close with switch but will not open what's wrong?

2000 Honda civic EX Cab Light won't turn on when door is open [ 1 Answers ]

I've been driving a 2000 Honda Civic Ex for about 6 months and just recently I noticed that the cab light won't come on when I open the door or unlock the doors with the remote. This problem came about unexpectedly and I have no clue as to why. It can be turned on manually (flip the switch) but...

Garage Door won't open fully [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lift master garage door opener. It works fine on the downward trip but on the upward trip the door stops approx 1 foot off the ground. I can put my finger under the door and lift it while it is in motion and it will complete the upward trip without interuption. Little pressure is being...

View more questions Search