Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karlrove99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Creating a template in Word 2007 with auto-populate
    In Word 2007, I am trying to create a fax cover sheet template that will auto-fill the user's name, title and email address. When Bob opens the template, it will auto-fill Bob Smith, Senior Manager, [email protected].
    I do not want to create a template for each individual person. I want to have one template on the shared drive that each user can open and auto-fill, or auto-text, or auto-complete, or auto-populate, (or whatever you call it) for each person's unique information.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
    When you install Word, you are supposed to fill in some user information and store it in a profile. This fields in this profile can be setup as default values in your template. You need to Insert a field for each piece of info. There should be info in Help on how to do this.
    karlrove99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    When you install Word, you are supposed to fill in some user information and store it in a profile. This fields in this profile can be setup as default values in your template. You need to Insert a field for each piece of info. There should be info in Help on how to do this.
    Yes, you put in Name, initials and organization. Where can you store email address? And what string can you use to recall that information?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 05:59 AM
    I know this is possible because my company has such templates. But they are locked so I can't see the actual coding. What I would suggest is to download some of the templates from microsoft's site and see how they are setup. I know there is a user profile within ccess that can store more that the three user fields. And then access them.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 07:43 AM
    I hope they've expanded these fields in Office 2007, but in 2003 (which I still use) the only User Fields (Found in TOOLS > OPTIONS > USER INFORMATION) are:
    • User Name
    • User Initials
    • User Address

Those of you with 2007, are there more fields in there now?

The codes to add these "auto fill fields" to a document are found in INSERT > FIELD > CATEGORIES: User Information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Altering template size in Word [ 1 Answers ]

How do I alter a template size in Word? I want to reduce the page size while reducing the graphics proportionately. Every time I change the size, it crops my page. Please help. Thanks.

MS Word (2002) Template [ 8 Answers ]

I use a Template (.dot file) for apartment leases where I just fill in the blanks (sample file attached if needed). I have to click on each blank space before typing in it. I'd love to tab to them instead. Is this possible in Word? Thanks!

Creating Tables in Word [ 3 Answers ]

How do I add multiple rows and columns to an existing table in Word? I can only use the insert one at a time in the Table menu

Transferring Word template autotext database [ 4 Answers ]

I just attempted to ask this, and I think it failed. If this is the second posting - sorry, please ignore. If not... On computer A, I created a new Word 2000 template in a new name, LH3.dot. I did this specifically to create a new autotext database, which I will call ATDBLH3. The template...

Microsoft Word Template Underlines [ 1 Answers ]

Word 2003. Creating a template. I want to lock in the underlines so that one can type info on top of the underlines without deleting the underlines or moving the line. How do I do it? Example: The template might have the following lines: Name: _____________________________ Date: ...

View more questions Search