Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
    No water from a sprinkler system
    Greetings yawl,

The place we are renting has a below ground sprinkler system. The system is controlled by a Hunter SRC i901 (inside) control panel. For grins, my wife thought that I was enjoying too much football instead of being busy with stuff. Any way, she was curious to know if I could get the sprinkler system working.

Sure enough, the panel was electricall dead. I replaced the b/u battery, and the 26VAC 750 m amp transformer and got the panel working again. I also verified that each of the 8 of the 9 stations that are being used are getting 26 VAC when they are selected. Only stations are being used. There is no wire attached to thee Master Valve terminal.

Now comes the major problem. No water. I did some research on the system and it seems that it is connected in-line with the main water, usually near the meter. Well I have searched every inch of ground between the meter and the house and I cannot find any other housing for the sprinkler system.

The house is on a crawl space and all of the wiring goes under the house. Is it possible (logical) that the plumbing for the sprinkler system starts under the house? Why you you put a cutoff valve under the house?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Hi Don:

In my area they require that a vacuum breaker be installed above the ground for all underground sprinkler systems... see picture below. Most likely the shutoff at the vacuum breaker has been shut down and just needs to be opened once found (maybe? ).

They should also have something like this in your area... I think? Anyway, if not outside then may be inside under crawl space and only reason I would figure it would be there is to keep it from being stolen or cut off? Can you tell I'm from Boston on that note... ;)

I'm also asumming that a sprinkler company would need to be able to winterize this system so there should be an area where they can disconnect the vacuum breaker or work from the vacuum breaker and then attach hoses and blow the lines down if freezing weather developed... course, all depends on where you live.

Otherwise, they don't require these vacuum breakers in your area and you may actually need to find an inground distribution box out in the field somewhere...

Let me know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Don, does your landlord have clue? Most sprinklers are added to a home long after building construction ended. It is possible for the installers to have tapped into a supply line anywhere they found convenient including under the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter ICC sprinkler system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter Controller Programmer ICC. The programmer when set to go through cycle automatically, it will go through the cycle but will not tun off. The unit will keep re-cycling. I replaced the timer already because this problem was happening, but its still happening with the new timer.

Sprinkler System [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I had posted this early and no body respond please give some advise,We moved to a new house, the sprinkler system works fine but looks like the pressure is too high, when the sprinkler for a particular zoon is on the water is evaporating is there any way that I can adjust the pressure.

Sprinkler System [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We moved to a new house, the sprinkler system works fine but looks like the pressure is too high, when the sprinkler for a particular zoon is on the water is evaporating is there any way that I can adjust the pressure.

Sprinkler System -- Air in line [ 2 Answers ]

I just cleaned my filter on my sprinkler (I have done that many times in the past). But this time when I turned on the sprinkler system the filter chamber does not totally fill up with water. There is an air bubble which in turns make the entire system weak. I tried taking the fill cap off the...

Sprinkler System [ 3 Answers ]

My sprinkler system here in SW Florida is two years old. There are 5 programmable zones. However, lately whenever zones 1, 2, 3 or 4 are programmed ON, Zone 5 comes on (sympathetically?). An irrigation company has come 3 times to make repairs, but has been unsuccessful each time. They gave up and...

View more questions Search