Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wml913 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Bad Tape Job
    I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Apr 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Peal all the loose tape off and retape with fiberglass mesh tape except for any corners then use paper tape. You can't spackle over loose paper tape it will never work.
    In areas where the tape isn't loose but can be seen through the paint, they probably just taped and painted w/o any finish coats. There you can just spackle over the tape in those areas.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 09:44 PM
    I agree completely.

Terrible job was done in my wife's house before I married and moved in.

Pulled off the loose and retaped. Where it was showing but not loose I covered with mud and sanded. All worked out fine.
    wml913 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 10:47 AM
    I was hoping that would be all I needed to do, a local contractor suggested retaping the entire house, and I wasn't to thrilled with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much pipe thread tape to use? [ 5 Answers ]

Yikes. I was installing the tub spout and the copper stub-out was way too long. I measure and measured again and cut it too short. It doesn't extend far enough Into the spout to seal. Can I use silicone or something? What others options To I have? The spout is the type you described in a...

Time needed between Tape & other OTC dewormers [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter misdiagnosed what type of worms her puppy has (she definitely has Tapeworms), so I purchased Evict and administered it two days ago. Now I need to give an over the counter Tape worm medication and wonder how much time, if any, is required between the two different wormers?

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape? Yes, I'm a complete newbie Appreciate any...

Recording a cassette tape... [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to record a cassette tape onto the computer and then putting that recorded song on a blank cd via cd-burner? Thanks

View more questions Search