Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abcdefg4444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Taxes on inheritance or gift originating from a foreign country?
    Would I have to pay taxes on gifts or inheritance that I may receive from a family member in a foreign country? Amount may be in seven figures. If so, anyone know if there are any loopholes that I may be able to take advantage of? And how much in taxes do I have to pay? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 10:32 PM
    In the U.S. there is no tax on gifts or inheritances. However, IRS wants to make sure that the money is actually gift or inheritance, so you may have to file Form 3520.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax
    And Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    murphey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 03:37 AM

I am in the uk what tax would I have to pay if a inheritance was left to me in a nother country
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 05:22 AM

This forum deals primarily with U.S. tax questions.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 11, 2009, 08:16 AM

Are you a US citizen or green card holder?

If so, there is no tax on the inheritance or gifts in the US. Nevertheless, pay attention to what MukatA said about form 3520.

However, since you are resident in the UK you will have tax issues there.
    dorenah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 11:41 AM

My husband is inheriting over $300k next yr from Australia. One caveat - he is not a citizen, but a green card holder. Does that have anything to do on if we will be required to pay taxes? I was also told that the estate would have to pay taxes not the heirs. Would that be paid in Australia because that sounds like taxes will have to be paid here in the USA out of the money inherited. Would I have to pay state taxes too? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Not sure what estate taxes will be due in Australia, but, for sure, there are NO taxes due in the U.S. on either the federal or state level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance/gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

We live in California and my mother in law lives in Canada. She is giving us $78,000, (she is still alive) and we will lose a certain amount because of the currency exchange but my question is what taxes if any will we have to pay... federal? State? What can we do to minimize any taxes?

Inheritance or Gift - Taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-husbands parents wrote us a letter in their Christmas card in 1988, stating they bought a bond for our son that will mature in 2008. They estimated that when it came to full term, (now), it would be about $15K -20K. This letter said the bond was intended as a Christmas present for his...

Taxes on foreign inheritance for US citizens [ 2 Answers ]

If I am a US citizen inheriting a large sum of money from a distant relative, who lived in a foreign country, such as Spain, what kind of taxes and what percent would I have to pay. Also can we get names of US lawyers that would handle a situation like this?

Inheritance or Gift and do I report it [ 16 Answers ]

My father died in 2001 and did not have a chance to revise his will, so my sister and my mother were the only ones on it. The will was dated from before I was born and by the time he died my mother and him were divorced. We agreed to split everything between my sister and I. We sold the condo...

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search