Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trapped Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 09:34 PM
    New Tempstar Heating/AC unit odor
    I had a new 2 ton Tempstar Heating/AC unit installed about 21/2 years ago. The first year it worked fine, the second the AC stopped cooling, over a week of calling the dealer to get them to check it out they finally came and ended up replacing the freon and doing an acid wash on the coils. The unit cooled fine after that. This summer I've noticed a chemical type smell, kind of like machine oil coming through the vents when the AC is running. It has left my home smelling, my clothes have the odor on them. I've contacted the dealer and he says to throw some air freshner tabs you can by at Home Depot in the return. I have asked a few opinions and it seems they believe the compressor may have failed and they don't understand why a new unit would need freon replaced unless there was a leak. To my knowledge there was never any tests done to check for leaks. They came at my request and just did a visual look and told me everything looked okay. I am sick over this and don't run the AC because the smell is sickening. I am at my wits end and the dealer seems to just put me off and can't be bothered, even though the warranty is still in place. Please anyone who may have had experience with this type of problem, I need some answers not only for the problem with the AC, but the problem with the dealer too.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Best to call another company and have them give you there opinion of the entire situation. You will be better informed at that time and can contact the original company with your concerns or have the company you just called make the repairs and sue the original company for lack of performance and to recover the entire cost of your troubles.

You have far to many problems with a unit that is not that old.
    I understand your situation but you need PROFESSIONAL ON SITE HELP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tempstar unit odor [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new 2 ton Tempstar Heating/AC unit installed about 21/2 years ago. The first year it worked fine, the second the AC stopped cooling, over a week of calling the dealer to get them to check it out they finally came and ended up replacing the freon and doing an acid wash on the coils. The...

Honeywell T8411R thermostat to Tempstar Unit [ 1 Answers ]

I friend of mine that works with HVAC gave me a Honeywell T8411R and wired it up to my Tempstar Unit. He had difficulty getting it to work right but eventually got it... we thought. Come to find out it was only using emergency heat, not the heat pump. I spoke with another HVAC guy and he walked...

Tempstar heating unit problems [ 3 Answers ]

Our digital thermostat is blank.

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

View more questions Search