Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trapped Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
    New Tempstar unit odor
    I had a new 2 ton Tempstar Heating/AC unit installed about 21/2 years ago. The first year it worked fine, the second the AC stopped cooling, over a week of calling the dealer to get them to check it out they finally came and ended up replacing the freon and doing an acid wash on the coils. The unit cooled fine after that. This summer I've noticed a chemical type smell, kind of like machine oil coming through the vents when the AC is running. It has left my home smelling, my clothes have the odor on them. I've contacted the dealer and he says to throw some air freshner tabs you can by at Home Depot in the return. I have asked a few opinions and it seems they believe the compressor may have failed and they don't understand why a new unit would need freon replaced unless there was a leak. To my knowledge there was never any tests done to check for leaks. They came at my request and just did a visual look and told me everything looked okay. I am sick over this and don't run the AC because the smell is sickening. I am at my wits end and the dealer seems to just put me off and can't be bothered, even though the warranty is still in place. Please anyone who may have had experience with this type of problem, I need some answers not only for the problem with the AC, but the problem with the dealer too.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 09:59 PM
    See other post

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tempstar A/C [ 4 Answers ]

Any input about the 13 seer Tempstar R410 Heat pump system? I am building a new house and want to make sure it is a good brand.

Honeywell T8411R thermostat to Tempstar Unit [ 1 Answers ]

I friend of mine that works with HVAC gave me a Honeywell T8411R and wired it up to my Tempstar Unit. He had difficulty getting it to work right but eventually got it... we thought. Come to find out it was only using emergency heat, not the heat pump. I spoke with another HVAC guy and he walked...

Tempstar heating unit problems [ 3 Answers ]

Our digital thermostat is blank.

Tempstar 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Tempstar 5000 A/C unit and would like to know the condenser size It's model # is ca5536uka1 so should I assume it is a 3 ton unit? Thanks Erik

Tempstar 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

I have changed the coil because it looks like it had a spark or got hot because there was black soot on the power terminals so I replaced it but it still doesn't work. When you turn it on there is a small hum the magnets are not being pulled in, when you push them in humming gets louder from the...

View more questions Search