Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 11, 2006, 11:42 PM
    Are we good by nature?
    Hi everybody!
    I wasn't sure where to place this, the other option was "religion" but I decided not to make it merely a religion-related topic, because this might have taken to debate to a certain direction. On the other hand, I was afraid "Philosophy" was too, high, so I had a swift glance around, to see if it fits in here.
    By reading the title, you already know what I'm asking.
    I know I'm not the first one to deal with this question- I think it was on human-race's mind fron the veary first day it began thinking.
    But, sometimes, the way one answers this question might deeply affect one's life.
    SO:
    Are we born with a good "core"
    Which sometimes, gets twisted on the way, or some are born "good" and others "bad" with all the "gray shades" in between?
    Millie
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 04:19 AM
    Hi,
    "the way one answers this question might deeply affect one's life."
    I don't understand this quote above from your comments or question.
    I suppose you mean that if someone truly believes that they have been "born bad", then there is no chance for them to be "good".
    Yes, we are all born with a "good core". Babies and children are "molded" by their parents and their surroundings and environment.
    Children learn from those around them. If many people could just "let go" and for just a little while, have the mind of a child, they could know what peace is; rather than the "hustle and bustle" of todays' life for many.
    I really don't believe there is such a thing as being born "bad". Being "good" or "bad" is learned later. If children were "born bad", there would be no need for Social Services or a Court to try finding a better home for some children, living in a bad environment or with abusive parents or parent. They would already know there is no chance for some children, and leave them where they are.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 12, 2006, 05:04 AM
    To me everyone starts as equal... not good or bad but a blank slate ready to take in information.. we love to learn that is our nature... we pick up cues from everwhere and by doing that we constantly evolve everyday... what we choose to do with that new information defines who we are...

So here's the real question... if a person is neither bad nor good then what makes a person do bad or good things?.
    IMO... MORALS
    YOU EITHER GOT'EM OR YOU DON'T

Apr 12, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    decsribe what you mean by "core"
    By core I mean the most central axis of our being
    Millie
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:17 AM
    I believe we are all born good. We are all born as sweet, innocent babies who have to be nourished and educated by our parents or soul carers. It is our upbringing that contributes to us remaining good or becoming bad. And other influences through life (as we get older) that also contributes to us being good or bad.

So your first statement:

"Are we born with a good "core" which sometimes, gets twisted on the way"
    I would have to say - yes I agree with this. I believe we are all born with a good core that can get twisted on our journey through life.

Apr 12, 2006, 05:22 AM
    [QUOTE=fredg]Hi,
    "the way one answers this question might deeply affect one's life."
    I don't understand this quote above from your comments or question.
    Hi Fred,
    I've always regarded everyone as being good by nature, but due to different "molding" actions , they do things which contradict this. Therefore, I assumed, they live in denial of this things, experiencing a huge inner conflict, and that's because of their basically good "core".
    Lately, my life circumstances sort of maks this attitude of mine sort of "blow in my face', and I started wondering about it...
    Millie

Apr 12, 2006, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    I believe we are all born good. We are all born as sweet, innocent babies who have to be nourished and educated by our parents or soul carers. It is our upbringing that contributes to us remaining good or becoming bad. And other influences through life (as we get older) that also contributes to us being good or bad.

So your first statement:

"Are we born with a good "core" which sometimes, gets twisted on the way"
    I would have to say - yes I agree with this. I believe we are all born with a good core that can get twisted on our journey through life.
    THANKS!
    Millie
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    THANKS!
    Millie
    No worries.

Please note, I equally believe that it can also be twisted back again as long as the individual can admit to themselves when they are in the wrong and have become bad; however sometimes this is not the case.

Apr 12, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    No worries.

Please note, I equally believe that it can also be twisted back again as long as the individual can admit to themselves when they are in the wrong and have become bad; however sometimes this is not the case.
    Agree,
    The problem seems to be the depth of the denial
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Indeed! Denile is something we all do, but mostly for the short term. The depth of the denile comes when it is for prolonged periods.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 12, 2006, 07:54 AM
    A good question, and here's a quick answer - Yes, humans are born with enough thinking capacity and emotional empathy that we are overall "good" people. Not perfect or 100% “good”, but overall being “good” individuals.

However…

Although I agree that we are born mostly “a blank slate", I also think people have "tendencies" that are pre-wired in their brain. Those traits may lean towards being " that are pre-wired in their brain. Those traits may lean towards being ", or may lean towards being "evil". As an individual grows and learns, their life experiences and development may push them closer to either the good or bad tendencies.

By the time a human matures into an adult, they are choosing their behaviors for their own reasons – good or evil.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 13, 2006, 06:49 AM
    We may start as a blank slate but as we grow our environment and the people around us shapes us in many ways and as we mature into adults we make our choices in life both good and bad. After reaching adulthood our true natures drives us.:cool:
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    Hi everybody!
    I wasn't sure where to place this, the other option was "religion" but I decided not to make it merely a religion-related topic, because this might have taken to debate to a certain direction. On the other hand, I was afraid "Philosophy" was too, high, so I had a swift glance around, to see if it fits in here.
    By reading the title, you already know what I'm asking.
    I know I'm not the first one to deal with this question- I think it was on human-race's mind fron the veary first day it began thinking.
    But, sometimes, the way one answers this question might deeply affect one's life.
    SO:
    Are we born with a good "core"
    which sometimes, gets twisted on the way, or some are born "good" and others "bad" with all the "gray shades" in between?
    Millie
    We are neither good nor bad. Good and bad are human judgements based on the current world-view. So said... I believe that given the opportunity humans will be bad! LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nature Of The Human Soul: [ 28 Answers ]

What lies ahead as the ultimate destiny of the soul? HANK :)

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature [ 5 Answers ]

I keep giving Karen wine and bracelets like she likes, but her heart is always black. How do I get her to like me? I even gift-wrap it! >:(

Are women bi-sexual by nature? [ 42 Answers ]

This may spur some debate or it may just die away unnoticed... either way, here it is: Are all women bi-sexual (if not homosexual)? Or in other words, is there such a thing as a "purely heterosexual woman?" Here are a few things to stir the pot a bit: In nature, everything has either a...

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature help! [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help concerning HM: BTN... Does anyone know how to get the fishing rod from Greg? I'm in my first fall now but so far I've never even seen Greg. People say that he comes from 6:00 - 10:00 AM at the Mineral Beach pier but I've never seen him there... Could someone help me out please? ...

A sneaky nature... [ 18 Answers ]

My husband of 30 years has fantazied with every woman he comes in contact with, even as we are together. He sneaks winks, touchs and speical connections with any woman, regardless if he knows her or not. It seems to be a challenge to see if he can get them to respond. When we are in public he is...

View more questions Search