Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ND1268 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router
    How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?
    MaGiC_DaN90 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
    From what I know, the color of the cable doesn't really matter. But I could be wrong.
    As long as it's the correct networking cable it should be fine.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 05:18 PM
    What can sometimes cause grief is if a crossover cable is used. If your computer or the router has an auto (MDX) (Spelling?) port then there is no trouble.

Colors of cables were designed to be color coded by backbone, vertical riser and patch. None of this concerns you.

Check the manual to disable wireless.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Colors of cables were designed to be color coded by backbone, vertical riser and patch.
    Really? I didn't know that. Can you provide a reference?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 03:55 AM
    Recommended Color-Coding Scheme - Siemon

You'll see that Station Cabeling is Blue (Horizontal terminations)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2008, 04:05 AM
    You don't have to do anything the router. If there are no computers seeking a connection then the wireless part won't be used.You can disable the wireless JNIC on the computer that used to be wireless.

I would, however, set up MAC address filtering so only selected MAC addresses can connect. This will inhibit people nearby from connecting to your router.

Color coding of cables is a guideline. It makes sense in large installations, but its not necessary for a home situation. But the cables are not different.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 04:28 AM

I've seen ALL colors used for networking, and red or yellow for crossover. Yellow or red could be either. Look at the ends(wire colors at ends)
    Google Image Result for http://www.archonmagnus.com/computing/elec/diagrams/crossOverCableDiagram2.jpg
    Type in your routers address, user name and password, then disable wireless. If not using wireless, I would disable, can be hacked.
    lexy_08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 04:31 AM

Color of the cable doesn't really matter since you only have a small home network .

for the wireless situation, access the router interface by typing in the ip of the router (the default gateway value of your wired PC on the address bar of internet explorer.

For linksys routers the default is 192.168.1.1 (if you didn't change it) and default password is admin (lowercase).Just leave the username blank (this is if you didn't personalize the router username and password)

Click on the wireless tab, and on that page just set the wireless ssid broadcast to disabled.
    That will disable the broadcast of your wireless network so people nearby won't be detecting the signal of your wireless and will prevent hackers from connecting.. hope my tip helps..
    mindtab Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Aug 29, 2009, 07:29 PM

The color of the cable doesn't matter.

To change wireless settings:
    Log into your router. I assume you know how, if not: in your browser, type the router's address (Index of /, or 1.1, or whatever you may have set it at)
    Click on the Wireless Tab. Click down in the dropdown box next to 'Wireless Network Mode' and choose 'Disabled'. Click Save at the bottom of the page, then click on Apply settings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My comp cannot connect to my linksys wireless router [ 6 Answers ]

I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop...

Connecting Iphone to linksys router [ 1 Answers ]

I have the same problem connection my Iphone at home to my network, ran by a linksys router. I tried the "reset Network" on my phone, but it didn't work, still can't use wireless network on Iphone. Any help would be appreciated. Allan

Linksys router not working with Iphone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless-G broadband router. It works fine with my desktop and laptop wirelessly not until I use it with my Iphone. The Iphone can detect the router and can even join it after typing the password. But much to my dismay I can't surf the Net and could not even open...

Trying to connect D-Link router through a Linksys. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a D-Link DI-604 that I want to hookup my TiVo and XBox up to, and that router is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4. The D-Link doesn't seem to be able to connect through the Linksys to get onto the internet. What needs to be changed to get this working?

Linksys router configuration [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Linksys wireless router. I have one desktop and laptop I am able to access the Internet when I hardwired my laptop / desktop to Modem. (which is what is there now). . I want to connect my laptop in "wireless" mode to the router and access internet. I tried accessing...

View more questions Search