Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kedlaya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Hi,
    I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too?

Thanks,
    Diwakar

By the way, my w2 indicates 0$ withheld from NY state
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
    You need to file because your total income is above 7500.

You should owe no tax anyway.

Vaya

Apr 12, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Thanks Vaya.

That is what I expected but it turns out that the tax softwares doesn't allow NJ address on their forms (pull down menu/edit boxes) and it generates a ridiculous 700$ payment to NY state.

Thanks again,
    Diwakar
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Make sure you file as NY non-resident (form IT-203).

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Vaya's guidance is great; nothing to add.

Apr 12, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Thanks Vaya.

I will paper file the state tax returns. Free softwares through .gov seem to be catering resident filing.

Diwakar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in China state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I will be living in China for most of the year, the rest of the year I will stay with my family in Pennsylvania. I am retiring from the school system and they want me to file state tax. When I go what do I do about Georgia state taxes from my retirement? Do I have to pay state taxes in Georgia if...

Filing for custody in nh when living in VT [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine recently found out he has a 6 yr old son, the mother moved when they broke up never telling him she was pregnant, and never notifying him when the little boy was born that he had a child! All of a sudden he got a summons to court for child suppot... the child support has been...

Living in NY state, company based in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I guess I have a similar question posed by one of the member, but in a reversed order. I live in NY, but my company is based in NJ. I work for a consulting firm and currently my project is based in NY state. My company has been deducting NJ taxes for past 1 yr. 1) I am confused right...

Inheritance money will I be taxed for living in another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I recently inherited some money from a home which my mother sold as part of our inheritance (4) children. The problem is that the property is located in Puerto rico and my mother has just informed me that her lawyer said we will not be able to claim the money until this coming year tax return ...

Fed, State and City - NYC living and working [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I’ve just started working in NYC and living in NYC. From some research, I understand I need to pay federal, NY State, and NY City taxes on my gross income after adjusting/deducting the gross income for some exemptions and deductions. Also understand two options under deductions exist –...

View more questions Search