Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    escandon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Old thermostat with two very short black wires
    I removed two very old round Honeywell mercury thermostats, I'm replacing them with Honeywell digital round thermostats.
    The instructions are easy to follow but I encountered two problems, 1) both wires are black and 2) the wires are too short and will not reach the screws in the mounting plate.
    So, how can I tell which wire is red or white? And how do I extend the length of the wires?

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 05:57 PM
    how do I extend the length of the wires?

Add more wire

So, how can I tell which wire is red or white

It will not make a difference since there are only 2 wires to start with.

I would read the directions VERY carefully to make sure that new thermostat
    Only requires two wires to operate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

New light switch cover, now wires too short [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating an old property and am updating the covers on the light switches. When removing the cover of an old switch (having turned off the mains etc) a 4 mm piece of wire broke off the red wire. There's no slack in the wire at all and now neither the old switch cover nor the new one will...

Short Between Ground and Live Wires [ 3 Answers ]

During the building inspection of my home that I purchased one outlet tested hot reverse, the building inspector said I simply needed to switch the wiring. i.e. Black to Brass and White to Silver. He also advised me to put in a GCFI outlet since it was in a bathroom. I proceeded to do this...

Thermostat wires too short [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing a White-Rodgers thermostat in my apartment. When installing my Honeywell RTH7000 I found the wires are all too short by about 1/4 inch. Pulling on the wires does not help. Suggestions?

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

View more questions Search