Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CircleR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Venting gravity flow air lock
    We use a gravity flow system for watering cows, it sometimes becomes air locked, where do we vent to cure this, what else can be done, thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Hi CircleR:

I am not exactly sure about your system... pipe size, branches off main line, pitch, etc... but like any pipe with water flowing by gravity it is always best to have a vent installed to mix air with the water which results in a TURBULENT and increased flow rate of water.

You may be able to install a mechanical vent (AAV - air addmittance valve... sold at all home supply stores) or two or three... depending on your set up. See picture below... these are STUDOR mechanical vents... they install into a FEMALE threaded fitting and can be added into the gravity system every so many feet you think you need to install them (connect into gravity system using wye or tee fittings).

Anyway, just a thought for you. If you can give me a little more info. Maybe I can advise better...

Let me know... MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Install the vent at the highest point of your delivery pipe. If you have long run than install another one in the middle of the run.

Cut in Y fitting, glue in short nipple and install the AAV vent as suggested by Mark. That should do...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Speedball1 (Tom) also brought up a good point here. He wondered why you couldn't just install a vent pipe like me and Milo are suggesting and then just add a screen over the top instead of the AAV.

Cheaper/easier if you ask me... ;)

Let us know what you think here CircleR...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Oh, forget screen ! It is expensive. Use old sock ! :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
    A buddy of mine runs a feed lot and told me the same thing. It was not an lock per se , rathered a closed tank that would let the water chug outlike an upside down pop bottle. His vent ended up being an upside down P trap expoxied over the hole I drilled in the roof of his tank. Far more santiatry than an old sock, LOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between funds flow and cash flow statement [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted 2 know the difference between funds flow and cash flow statement

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements? [ 6 Answers ]

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements?:)

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statement [ 1 Answers ]

What is a difference between cash flow and fund flow statement? What is fund flow statement? Prepare a fund flow statement with the help of an imaginary figures.

Difference between cash flow and fund flow [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between cash flow and fund flow?

View more questions Search